Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2002 2:01:15 PM EDT
My friend has one and I don't see anything wrong with it. I asked about them last year and I heard nothing bad but recently I have read negative things regarding these and was wondering what the story behind it was. Also do yuo know are these forged or are they cast and anodized?
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:34:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Well you looked it over what exactly did you look at?

Telling the difference between cast and forged would be like telling the difference between a real blonde and a bottle blonde. Forged lowers ought to have a scar along the front of the magazine and nice sharp cut markings. Cast lowers will have softer rounded edges and often they'll cast the markings to save money too.

It takes a critical eye and a set of calipers (or a mil-spec upper) to really "look" over a lower. I have a Hesse that sort of looks like a proper AR lower ... sort of. There are a dozen different ways that a nice looking lower can be all screwed up.

Tweak had a site that pointed out all the places that those who take short cuts cheat on the the AR lower.

Rumor has it that Dalphon gets their lowers from Olympic Arms - they're nearly neighbors.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 8:15:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 9:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I basically just looked at the fit and function of the lower to the upper and the fire control parts and it looked good. I have not seen many lowers since I live in CA so I didn't really no the difference between cast or forged. Maybe now I can look at it and tell him what it is. Are there any other distinguishing features between cast and forged? Also are olympic arms and the other company bad companies to get lowers from for any particular reason? Are they kind of luck of the draw companies? Well sorry for so many stupid questions just trying to learn.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 8:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Forged AFAIK

I have seen 12 of them, built 5 an have had little trouble with them. The early ones were tight. The later ones I had were no problem. I would say the ones I have are as good or better then Oly. My $0.02
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all your info I think the one I saw is also forged. Does anyone know how much they were charging for the lowers?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
i'll sell ya mine

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top