Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2002 11:06:26 AM EDT
I have a Charles Daly side-by-side shotgun I really like. I'm sending the reciever in for the Mahovsky Metalife treatment and I'd like to get the barrels either bead blasted and blued or parkerized for a matte non-glare appearance.

The problem is that the barrels are apparently soft soldered and Mahovskys said that the soft solder wouldn't hold up under their bluing method.

So my question is; is there any way to parkerize or bead blast and blue soft soldered shotgun barrels without running the risk of them coming apart?

Thanks for your help,

Matt
CrashBurnRepeat
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly, the traditional way of bluing soft soldered doubles is by using a rust blue such as Herter’s Belgium Blue or Pilkington’s American Rust Blue (both sold by Brownells).  These are NOT touch-up type cold bluing solutions.

Rust bluing is very tedious and thus, if someone else does it, pretty expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top