Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2002 10:51:39 AM EDT
My dealer justed showed me a flyer for the civilian "limited edition" M4 coming "soon."  MSRP $1595, limited to a few thousand in USA. Anyone seen one or have any other info?  
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:19:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I guess now we will have another type of "M4orgery."
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
i just put down a deposit on one. due to arrive in the next 30 days or so. my local dealer, northwest armory, is getting exactly TWO. so i nabbed one. but i'm starting to have second thoughts, as i already own a tricked out mossberg 590.

anyway, the config is as follows:
semi-auto 4+1
fixed skeleton stock
picatinny flat-top
pistol grip
(i could add a barrel extender only if i lose the pistol grip)

it's definitely badass, and according to a lot of people on this site, worth the $$$. i still haven't decided. i'm sure it'll hold its value though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
How about the NON-commerative one becomes available?  I remember seeing a pic of the one with the regular non-collapsible, non-pistol gripped stock and I thought it actually looked better than the USMC one.  I'm looking forward to that one.  Any idea when it'll be available, what the price will be, and what the capacity is?  With the "regular" stock, I should be able to add an extender to it provided they make one for it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 9:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]
the dealer i spoke to said that the regular, non-commemoratives are not available to the public. i might have this wrong, but he said they're strictly Marine Corp or LEO only. you sure that pic you saw wasn't an m3 or m1?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I have shot them numerous times so far, not really different than shooting my M1S90, don't think I would spend the extra 800 for the M1014.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have shot them numerous times so far, not really different than shooting my M1S90, don't think I would spend the extra 800 for the M1014.

i'm sure you're right. it's really more of an aesthetic consideration than anything else. only 2,500 of these are going to be made. also, no other model that i know of has that unique skeleton stock, and a trijicon reflex will fit nicely on the picatinny flat-top.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 6:30:19 AM EDT
[#8]
According to BATF...

IF a semi-auto shotgun has a Magazine capacity of 5 or LESS rds, it can have a folding stock.

This was from a letter from the ATF, addressing this issue.

IF the search function was up and running, I could find the letter.
I have a hard copy.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
5 or less and you can have a PISTOL GRIP.  Folders were expressedly banned for semi-autos.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#10]
The problem with the M4 stock is that it has a pistol grip and the ability to collapse.  Semiauto rifles are allowed to have two features, like a post ban AR15 with a pistol grip and a detachable magazine or a M1A with a flash hider and a detachable magazine. A semiauto shotgun can only have one feature, like a straight stock Benelli with a seven round magazine tube, a pistol grip stock Benelli with a five round tube.  A M4 even with a five round tube would then have two features, a pistol grip and a stock that can collapse.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 7:50:15 AM EDT
[#11]
According to Curtis H.A. Bartlett, Acting Chief, Firearms Technology Branch, in a letter dated, JUN 19 2000:

"...As defined in Section 921(a)(30)(D), of United States Code, the term "semiautomatic assault weapon" means a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following features:

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
         (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
       action of the weapon;
         (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
         (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.    

Section 922(v)(1), of Title 18 U.S.C., provides that it shall be unlawful for any person to manufacture, transfer of posses a semiautomatic assault weapon.  However, paragraph (v)(3)(D) provides that the prohibition in paragraph (1) shall not apply to any semiautomatic shotgun that cannot hold more that 5 rounds of ammunition in a fixed or detachable magazine.

If the described shotgun cannot hold more than 5 rounds of ammunition in its fixed magazine, it is excluded from the prohibition in section 922(v)(1)."

From the MAN.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the info. but the commemorative m4 s90 is definitely a fixed skeleton stock. i don't think there's an option to have the telescoping stock at all. which is indeed a cryin shame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top