Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2002 4:03:38 AM EDT
Does anyone have any practical experience with the Springfield HK 91 clone.  Looked at one just want some feedback.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:31:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Which one?   The original was a Greek import, first marked SAR-3.  This was a preban.  Then, there were the transitional guns that were marked SAR-3, but had the "3" overstamped with an "8".  Depending on when they left the factory, and if they had Springfield's "accurizing" kit, they may also be considered preban.  Next there were the postban SAR-8's, which were still the Greek imports.   These stopped coming in in 96, I believe.  Around 98-99 Springfield started selling a gun called the SAR-8 again, but despite having the same name, it was not the same gun.  The new one used an aluminum receiver with a built in scope rail that was manufactured/sold by Federal Arms Corp.

Any of the Greek imports are excellent guns - among the best of the clones as they were actually contract guns built on HK machinery. The value can vary depending on if it can be considered preban or not, with the SAR-3's sometimes going for nearly as much as a real HK-91, to the point where you may as well save up a few extra hundred $$$ and go with the real thing.

I'd stay away from the newer ones with the aluminum receivers.  IMHO, they look funny, and some question the long term durability of an aluminum receiver.  They usually aren't much cheaper than the greek SAR-8's or portegese FMP imports, both of which are much more desireable.  Parts kit guns built on FMP receivers can be found for around the same price and are also more desirable.

One thing the Springfield guns have going for them is the lifetime warranty.  However, Springfield is/has run out of many parts to do repairs.  I have heard that in the event of an unrepairable firearm, however, they will credit you the value of it towards an item they currently offer.

Rocko

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info I believe the one I looked at had the aluminum receiver.  Anybody else have any info?  Out side of a post in the wanted to buy where would I look for an acceptable clone?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Try www.hkpro.com or www.hk-91.com.  You can also try gunsamerica, auction arms, gunbroker, etc. but those places generally seem to price the more rare stuff way too high.

Rocko
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 3:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the aluminum receivered SAR8s. I love it! Simple design, long, slow recoil which is easy to absorb. I am not a big fan of the aluminum, for it gets nicked up behind the ejection port from the flying brass. When mine is in operation at the range, I put a piece of duct tape on the receiver.

The bolt assembly is a bear to put back together. Plan on saving your brass? Fuggetaboutit! It is dented and throated from the chamber. One fun thing to do is have a friend stand beside you w/ a shotgun, and say, "PULL!" On that command, you fire. The SAR8 throws the brass about 25 yards in front of you to the right.

Scope rail is nice, although I took my scope off of mine. If I want a PSG-1, I'll get one, and not pretend like it is one.

interordnance sells alloy HK mags for cheap! They rock. I paid 875 for my SAR... Better than a CETME, IMHO.

mjp
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My problem is that I have a real one, 91, about 98%.  Just looking for a good shooter to take out so I can leave the original in box and still throw lead w/o worrying about loss of value.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the SAR-8 w/ aluminum receiver. It works great. I think it has an 18.5" barrel. It is a great .308 rifle for general shooting. I also have an AR-10TLW for long range shooting.

I still like to shoot the SAR-8 though. And the magazines are cheap/easy to get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top