Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2002 4:58:10 PM EDT
I just "inherited" a large laptop case that is paded on the small sides and reinforced (fairly sturdy plastic) on the large sides. My question is could I puit some foam in it and cut out the slots for the broken down rifle. When separated into 3 parts (7.5" upper, RR lower, and surpressor) it fits nicely and would be a lot easier to tote through the airport and less obvious.. What are the airline standards and would it fly? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 12:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Don’t think so.  I’m pretty sure the FAA requires a lockable, hard-sided case for firearms transportation.

The airlines are somewhat erratic in their policies regarding firearms.  This can actually vary from ticket counter to ticket counter.  Which means you might get away with taking it where you want, but have trouble getting it back.

What you’re describing doesn’t sound very rugged anyway.

Plus, I’d think a computer case would also attract a lot of baggage handler “attention”.

Really hard to beat a Pelican case!  They come in all sorts of sizes, so by breaking your AR down, you could easily fit it into one that doesn’t look like a rifle case.

I’ve never used these folks, but they seem to have pretty good prices for Pelican cases: www.cases4less.com/
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 1:29:45 AM EDT
[#2]
www.sableco.net/id3.htm

Donnie at Sableco has better prices.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't they still have the steal-me firearm tag on the baggage still anyways
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 9:34:12 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Don't they still have the steal-me firearm tag on the baggage still anyways

Once you sign the tag, it has to go inside the case.  Outside tags have been prohibited for quite a while.

-hanko
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top