Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2002 7:24:55 AM EDT
I am considering getting a new upper for my tele-stock L/E carbine.  What would be the accuracy difference(assuming worked up handloads) between the Varminteer and the V-match?  I suspect that the Varminteer would be a little more accurate.  I can save a good bit of $'s if I use my bolt/carrier and go with the V-match.

Do I really need to switch stocks?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 7:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Considering you'll be using a 20-24 inch barrel (depending on the upper you get), you may want to switch to an A1 or A2 stock.  The telestock is using a smaller buffer. This may or maynot cause malfunctions, but from an asthetics point of view, a telestock with a 24 inch barrel may look kinda weird.

As far as accuracy, I beleve the Varminter is using a similar barrel to Bushmaster's DMC rifle (except it's a 1 in 9 instead of the 1 in 8 twist rate).  So theoretically the non chrome lined barrel will be the more accurate of the 2.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 9:23:11 AM EDT
[#2]
CWPINST:

Is your handle for 'concealed weapons permit instructor'?
Coincidentally, I logged on to AR15.com to ask the identical question you have asked.
To this day, I am still a bit confused!
I did try the 'short buffer/long gas tube' with my pre-ban Dissipator lower and post-ban V-MATCH upper.
It worked, but, I thought it sounded and felt a bit harder.
I have posted about this a couple of times and the guys at Bushmaster said it was OK to combine the two units as the gas tube is what regulates the pressure on the buffer and the short buffer should not be negatively affected by the long gas tube...so, I tried it, as stated above.
This is what it looks like:

I like the look, myself.
Of course, according to the Crime Bill, I cannot assemble my pre-ban Dissipator upper onto the post-ban V-MATCH lower!  Thus, I have one gun in two parts that cannot be put together.
Stupidest thing I ever heard of!  That's the penalty of the Crime Bill.

I consequently have abandoned the idea of assembling the two to get one and have one useless in two parts sitting in the safe...
Unless I spend the big bucks to buy a second 'pre-ban' lower to keep the post-ban lower in the safe.
AARRGGHH!

Try asking your question in the Industry/Bushmaster section and see what you get for an answer.  I'm curious as to how it will be explained this time.
Good Luck, newbie!!! I've been there.  It's what got me started here.

Here's a more recent thread:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=137049&page=1
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#3]
BusMaster,
10-4 on the instructor handle.  What kind of groups are you getting with the V-Match?  Does the tele-stock work well with your setup?
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
BusMaster,
10-4 on the instructor handle.  What kind of groups are you getting with the V-Match?  Does the tele-stock work well with your setup?

The group size with Federal American Eagle ammo hovers around an inch.
I haven't taken the expensive Match ammo from Federal or Remington to the range yet.
I suspect if I concentrate very hard on not moving from shot to shot, the group size will shrink substantially.  Sorry I can't give you any better data to work with.

I'm also going to test my Remington XP-100R in .223 at the same time.  It's twist rate is 1:12 vs. the Bushmaster's 1:9, so it ought to be an interesting session with different bullet weights.

The telestock DID work.  I just thought it felt and sounded like the rifle was working 'harder'.
It could've been my imagination, though.
I'd be willing to try it again by bringing both the pre & post ban lowers to the range for testing.  I might do that.

The look of the "TeleSTYLE" stock is virtually the same as the real deal "telestock", so I'm not really losing anything in the aesthetics, other than not being able to collapse the "TeleSTYLE" stock.  I saw no reason to replace the stock as it would've cost another wad of $$$ and there is a slight weight advantage to not using the A2 stock.
 I suppose an A1 stock or one of the newer "A2 Entry" short versions would be an alternative to the "TeleSTYLE" stock if one wanted to maintain the standard look with a shorter stock.

I hope this information helps, but, I encourage you to go to the Bushmaster section in the Industry Forum and ask your question to see what answer you get.
Keep me posted as to what you find out and finally decide to do and why.  That's what makes this place so much fun.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go V-match.  IMO, a V-math upper works as well as the varminter.  There's defintiely a differnce in lowers, but you're using your own.  BTW, my v-match w/ a 3-9x40 Nikon monarch groups 1" at 100yds.  I've actaully shot grasshoppers at 50yds.  Any more accuracy is beyonfd my abilities.  ZT
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#6]
CWPINST,
Where are you at in SC? I have a Bushmaster V-match if you want to try one out. IM me.
Samuel
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Samuel,
Thanks, but I am a long ways from NC.  I am near the Ga. border near Augusta.

I wonder if I can get a 2 stage trigger to fit w/o problems.  Any idea on the cost of the trigger?

I shot my carbine at 500 yds yesterday (first time I ever shot that far) with open sights near dusk.  I hit a torso target 2 out of 5 times and was just a few inches out on 2 other shots.  That little sucker shoots good!
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top