Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2002 2:29:53 PM EDT
I have been looking at these things, they are everywhere and all running about the same price.  I think that I want one just for the aspect of a plinker with that really cheap ammo.  The questtion I have is, It is worth the extra $10 or $20 for handpick or matching serial numbers? Interordnance even has unissued still packed in cosmoline for a little more.  What is the scoop in these.  Everything else I own has been bought new and I know nothing about this surplus stuff.
Thanks for any replys.
CHZ
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can get a brand new one for about the same price, go for it. I picked one up at a gun show. I looked through the rack and bought the best looking one with the nicest bore. Few will have matching numbers. I've already bought a 30 round detachable mag for mine, $30.00....For more info, go to the AK website here and look under SKS....
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#2]
trust me on this its always worth the extra money for hand picked without its a crap shoot on what yours will look like. friend of mine has a C&R and told me when i get mine never one without paying for the handpicked. the piece of mind alone is worth it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Any more comments on this???
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They are great rifles.

Lew Horton has the cream of the crop on these, in my opinion.  Paying for special selection, only gets you the best of the top three on the pile.  They don't actually make a thorough search for the best available.  They select on cosmetics only, the selectors pick the "prettiest" one, not the best one.

Just passing on my personal experience.

OSA

Edited to add, Lew Horton only deals with type 01 FFL's, and not C&R's.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2002 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive been having an urge to get a yugo for awhile now. Ive had several chinese & a couple Rooskies but I still cant get em outta my system.I made one into a blowback op .45ACP in the late '80s- It was more work than it was worth, but pretty kewl.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok ladies, fasten your seat belts. Made arrangements with a dealer from Columbus Oh to have him bring some Yugo SKS's to the Summit Co gun show for a lodge buddy to mull over. Price $129.00. Got to the show after breckfast at Liberty HD and found the dealer. My pal got a BRAND NEW, NEVER ISSUED, NEVER FIRED, Yugo for $129.00.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 2:50:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Great price, Aim has been running internet specials (by email) around that range lately..sure is tempting. Sounds like most have better matching parts than the Rooskies did.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 4:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top