Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2002 6:00:53 PM EDT
what's the NEW gun that will replace the AK in Russia? I saw it briefly in History Channel's "the history of russia small arms". it is state of the art & uses 2 recoil/gas systems, virtually eliminating recoil, even in full auto mode....  I prefer their direction vs US's non-ergonomic, heavy land warrior setups.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The AN-94 (5.45x39.5) sometimes referred to as the "Akban 94". That was supposed to replace the 74' but with the cost of the AN94 being 2x more than the 74' and the Russian economy in the toilet, It doesn't seem likely that more than the initial 1000 AN-94's will be made for a long time.

JerrY
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
AN94 Akban is hailed as the best production military rifle in the world.  SAR did a big article on it awhile back.  sounds like excellent piece.

I still would prefer the Land Warrior ove rthe AN94, the AN94 might be the best shooting rifle on the market, but the advance electronics on the land warrior is second to none, if they can get the weight down and the unit durable and long lasting with the back pack battery unit, then again, the basic rifle, the M4 is in my humble opinion one of the best rifle ever produced.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell....I'd be more than happy to support the ailing Russian economy and buy me a personal arsenal of AN-94s but alas....their gov't won't sell, our gov't says we can't buy!  Don't you hate it when governments get in the way of  free economics.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 8:10:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes. And man could we buy those cheap.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes. And man could we buy those cheap.

I know i'd buy one...if I could....

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Russian garage sale

Cost of a russian nuke?
1 million dollars..
cost of a akban 94?
500 dollars

Bragging rights that come with teh goods?
Priceless.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#7]
The reciprocating barrel is what gets me, looks like some decktop WW2 antiaircraft gun with the barrel moving in and out.

I wonder about it's reliability however, with a moving barrel and dirt ingress.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top