Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2002 1:37:50 PM EDT
I am looking to buy a semi-auto .308 rifle.
I dont have enough money to buy a Springfield M1A or a pre-ban HK 91. I have looked at the CETME G3 and the FAL. I would love some feedback from anyone that owns either of these rifles (or any .308 semi-auto that you are impressed with).

This will be my first .308 and I want to do my homework before I buy. Info on which brands are the best would be great. There are several types that look similar, some are metric and some are standard. I need to know which ones are the most accurate and reliable, and which ones to stay away from. I plan on spending
around $700.00 Any info would be great. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with a DSA STG58 (the Austrian parts version). It should be around $795.00.  I imagine you're looking at a HK91 clone. The HK91's have a reputation for hard recoil, and most of the clones are of questionable quality.
Both FAL's and HK91's have fairly inexpensive mags.  

I regret getting rid of my FAL, and will probably get the DSA soon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 3:59:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If the M1A is out, I'd vote for the FAL. As mentioned above, you can get a DSA STG58 for just a little bit more than $700.

Another option you have is buying the parts and having a FAL gunsmith put one together for you. You could probably have a pretty nice one built for $700. If you go that route, make sure to use an Imbel receiver. As a matter of fact if you buy a complete rifle (besides the DSA STG58), make sure it's built on an Imbel receiver.

For the most part, sticking to metric parts is the way to go. Much easier to find cheap mags.

I've just never been big on the G3 clones. Dont' like the sites, not as comfortable to shoot as the FAL, and many of the G3 clones are hit and miss when it comes to quality.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'd go with a DSA STG58 (the Austrian parts version). It should be around $795.00.  I imagine you're looking at a HK91 clone. The HK91's have a reputation for hard recoil, and most of the clones are of questionable quality.
Both FAL's and HK91's have fairly inexpensive mags.  

I regret getting rid of my FAL, and will probably get the DSA soon.

Quality of HK clones is erratic, but don't worry about the recoil. If the headspace is in spec. recoil is on par with other 308's. My 14 year old nephew(110 lbs) can empty 3 or 4 20 round mags from the shoulder with no complaints.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]

DSA.

My STG is quite possibly my favorite rifle.  

Plus they have great customer service.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just go ahead and buy a postban Bushmaster AR-15 .223 and be done with it..

LOL.........Pappy
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
humm i have both.  my g3 doesnt have a muzzle break and there is some considerable recoil.  I would go for the FAL.  Several reasons:
cheap parts
a lot of parts available
better rep
adjustable gas system (very sweet option)
looks are a lot better
easier to customize to your liking

both have very cheap mags from around 6 - 10 bucks.  A metric FAL is the way to go.

hope that helps
lojack
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

DSA.

My STG is quite possibly my favorite rifle.  

Plus they have great customer service.

What MP906 said.  The DSA STG58A (Steyr parts kit with hammer forged barrel) is an incredibly good rifle, and I think you can still pick up NIW mags for $10/ea.  They sell for over $800 around here though, when you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.
I was leaning toward the FAL anyway. You guys just made up my mind for me. I saw a G3 clone a few weeks ago at a local gunshop that looked like it was made in someone's garage. I will definitely get the Imbel receiver. Thanks again
for the info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 10:55:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's not too lat I'm voting for the G3. Mine is the Federal receiver & I haven't had the first problem with it.

I had a L1A1 by Century & I hated the GD gas adjustment. With my G3 it's strictly "load-n-shoot".

No offense to those who like them but I'll never own another FAL again.
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Federal receivered gun as well.  Thing has been stone reliable and not too bad on the accuracy either.  Sure is ugly though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#11]
FAL
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:00:49 AM EDT
[#12]
FAL, no question!
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quality of HK clones is erratic, but don't worry about the recoil. If the headspace is in spec. recoil is on par with other 308's. My 14 year old nephew(110 lbs) can empty 3 or 4 20 round mags from the shoulder with no complaints.

I would actually disagree.  The recoil is more unpleasant on the G3 than on other .308 (and Garand) rifles.  For some people as well, when shooting prone, to get a good sight picture, you get banged on the cheekbone (which is no fun at all).  My experience is not with HK-91s or recent clones, but with properly headspaced select-fire HK G3s when I was in the military in Europe.  It's not like the G3 recoil is impossible to manage (except in full auto), but it is easier to manage on other .308 rifles.

Also, to be more directly relevant to this thread - I have no problems with FAL and L1A1 clones, but if I wanted a HK-91, I would pony up the cash for the real deal, or not bother at all.  (Which is why I don't own an HK )
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks again for the info. I have been to DSA's website and their FAL's look very nice. I really like the looks of the Israeli Heavy Barrel FAL, but did not see one offered from DSA. Does anyone know a distributor for them. I don't have an FFL, so I need to know who is a distributor for the Israeli HB FAL so my dealer can order one for me when I am ready. Probably will have to save up some more cash. Those higher quality FAL rifles aren't cheap.

Thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:54:53 AM EDT
[#15]
1) Classic looks
2) Cheap mags
3) Parts Availability
4) "The free world's right arm."

FAL, FAL, FAL.........
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an ARS FAL carbine that I routinely put 200-300 rounds through each time at the range with not even the slightest discomfort at the end of the day. Accuracy is about as good as I can do with iron sights; 3 MOA or so with surplus Portuguese ammo (139/K delivered from Aim.)Last Sunday was at least 400 rounds of mixed surplus (had a friend helping) without a single malfunction. Mark at ARS is selling a bunch of rifles, I would also check with him. He builds a nice FAL.

I've checked out a HK 91 a few times. Pretty sharp recoil and overall handling just didn't seem as ergonomic as a FAL. But some folks swear by them. Also, FAL's take apart real easily for C&M. My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to boldy post in the minority and vote for the G3.  I don't know how the Century, et al. G3 clones fare, but I did own an FMP (Portugese produced under HK license/contract) G3 clone and loved it so much, I sold it and got the real deal:  a pre-ban HK G3.  IMVHO, the recoil on the G3 is easier to manage than that of the M1A, and on par with the FAL.  Unlike the M1A/M14, I've found the G3 to recoil STRAIGHT BACK into the pocket of the shoulder, and not BACK and UP.  All three are fine battle rifles, and you'll find varying opinions as to which one is whoever's favorite.  Good luck in your mission.

Cloak-
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Hello,
I would go Fal , i had a newer model SAR8 it shot good groups but it had major FTE problems
with the Fal i run my gas on 5 and it shoots anything that i put in it .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top