Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2002 3:39:38 AM EDT
Here is a question for left handed shooters. Have you fired an SP1 or other AR w/o a shell deflector? Does the ejected brass strike the shooter?

I am interested in a very nice SP1 with low miles. The weight and balance of this rifle is very different from my H-Bar. And the look is distinctive.

I was just thinking about the lack of a brass deflector and if it would be a problem for a lefty. If this is the case then maybe it would be better to build an SP1 with an A1 upper, but then it would not be a true SP1.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe hook on a brass catcher and keep on shootin ??
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a clip on brass deflector just for southpaws.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is a clip on brass deflector just for southpaws.

Who makes it? I have never heard of it before.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]
www.northridgeinc.com/ar15_m16.htm

Down towards the bottom of the page.

USGI M16 Brass Deflector
For left handed shooters. New.  $9.95  SN-693
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 9:14:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Have owned an SP1 for 25 years. Have been hit by brass just one time.  Don't sweat it
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My father and I were discussing the differences in my AR (standard 20" A2) and the M-16s he used in the Navy as a SeaBee in '69-'70. He said his did not have a shell deflector and even though he is left handed he never had a problem with brass hitting him.

Dirk
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 4:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My father and I were discussing the differences in my AR (standard 20" A2) and the M-16s he used in the Navy as a SeaBee in '69-'70. He said his did not have a shell deflector and even though he is left handed he never had a problem with brass hitting him.

Dirk

Where did your dad do his tour?  Mine was attached to a SeaBee battalion (radio/electronic tech) during this time period.  Gulf Port MS & Da Nang.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 7:42:44 AM EDT
[#8]
If your face needs protection, there is a guy selling brass deflector protectors on this site.

Just buy thirty of them and stick them all over your face!
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#9]
After you use the clip on brass deflector a little you will see a nick on the plate, if you push in a thumb tack at the nick it will last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe I just have a big head but I have a green label Sporter with an A1 type upper and no shell deflector and I get brass bouncing off my forehead every time I fire the thing. Its very annoying. As a result I'm looking for a large hole upper with a shell deflector to mount on it. In the mean time its designated as my wife's AR (she's not left handed). I forgot to mention, it has the GI profile barrel which does make it feel a lot nicer than the HBAR's I have.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Where did your dad do his tour?  Mine was attached to a SeaBee battalion (radio/electronic tech) during this time period.  Gulf Port MS & Da Nang.

I know he spent some time in Rhode Island, and then Cam Rahn Bay, and Bien Luc. He was a builder.

Dirk
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 4:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Had an SP-1 for a short time. Wish I had not sold it.

Brass never hit me, although it whizzed by pretty close a few times. I would think if you get a rifle that throws it in your face you could tweek it with lube and maybe adjusting the ejector spring. Maybe??
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Get a DPMS Southpaw upper.
www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=5300&CATID=493
I think you have to special order a Southpaw upper.
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I am a lefty SP1 owner.  Never hit by any brass on my rifle.

However, I have been hit by prass out of a slab side M16.  

I guess it just depends.  Get one, fire it.  If it hits you, change the upper or get one of those clipons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top