Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2002 5:00:57 PM EDT
I want a rifle that will probably be my only rifle for while (ungunfriendly enviroment). I don't want 10 rounds in some AR or an HK USC or an SL8 or some weird gun. M1A's are somewhat expensive and maybe not right for my needs. FAL's are also out of the question. So I was thinking about bolt action rifles:

Simply, what I want is a decent gun that isn't expensive, will last, and comes as an almost complete package (such a thing is impossible with an M1A so that is why it's out of the question: scoping it out, etc. would be too expensive) I found the Savage Arms 10FPXP LE package which is a nice rifle with a decent scope, bipod, sling, etc. for $1000 or so. The stock sucks but I wonder if I really need to get a new one and which one I should get.  I once saw a really nice Savage stock somwhere. It was something like Savage T2000 or something? Help me if you know, it was a camo thumbhole stock (I think).

Then there is my other option: The excellent Remington 700P TWS, going for a little more than $1400 which includes a truly excellent out of the box rifle, an excellent scope, bipod, sling, and an awesome Pelican case! This rifle would probably pay off better in the long run but the question is: Should I buy the cheaper rifle, should I get a different stock for it, or should I get the more expensive but much better Remy? Or does anyone out there think they have any other nice package options for me?

(hey if you have a nice semi auto package tell me, I am not giving up on semis that fast!)

SIG out,

Doggonit

P.S.: The Savage has a internal magazine right? What 'bout the Remington? Is that also one of those weird internal mag guns? How do internal mags work? What the hell are you supposed to do? Is there some plate in the bottom that you can shove rounds through (by pushing it in) like shoving shells into a shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT- PLEASE ANSWER SOMEBODY!!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually most Bolt guns have an "Internal" Magazine, It works just like a detachable mag you load it through the breach not the bottom, the Savage will most likely have a "Blind Magazine" which means it does not have a floor plate that can be used to unload the rifle, you would pretty much have to cycle the rounds through the action to unload. as for the choice between Remington VS. Savage? both are fine weapons I have owned a Remington, and currently own a Savage 112 BVSS (Laminated Wood Stock) I would probably choose the remington as it comes with a better stock already the Savage Plastic POS is too flexible for realistic use the replacement would have to be a McMillain or HS Precision and that would cost about as much as the difference between the two. The Burris is an excellent scope but I would Rather have the Leupold, or Steiner,or Kahles,or Zeiss, Or if you wanted to spend another grand and a half you could even get the Unertl that the Marines use. OTOH you could get a Simulated M24 SWS for around the same money you are looking at for the Remington you quoted I believe Sans optics.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 11:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are happy with what comes in the package, I would go with the Remington TWS.If you do decide to trick it out a little, there are lots of gunsmiths around that are familiar with Remingtons.If you look around, most of the tactical/sniper rifles are based on the Remington 700 action.I shoot the Remington 700PSS-DM in .308Win and love it.A fellow I compete with had a Savage Tactical in the same caliber, and sold it to get a Remington.He was never really happy with the performance of the Savage.HTH. Skullboy.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 6:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Ho hum... You convinceed me.... Might get new barrel (26" is Looooooong) and optic after a year or two for the TWS when I get it....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top