Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2002 5:06:50 AM EDT
I purchased an AR-15 that is configured with a CAR stock and a pre-ban upper and I need to know if it is within Sec. 922(r) standards.

It's marked as:
E.A CO.
KR. SPR. LA.
MOD: J-15
EA. #036XXX

I thought it was an Eagle Arms rifle but Armalite said it was made by a company no longer in business.

If anyone has any info on this rifle, it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, I paid $400 for it in  good condition.  Was it worth it?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2002 6:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
all
E.A CO.
KR. SPR. LA.
MOD: J-15
EA. #036XXX
are pre-ban...! for $400 consider yourself a theif......
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
you have a pre-ban investment cast essential arms company ar-type rifle.  I bought one from them about ten years ago.  They quit doing business but I recently saw an ad in
shotgun news by them or someone using their name advertising parts.  After buying the receiver from them and some other parts, I placed another order for some small parts.  My money order was returned and a note said they quit the business. I guess they are back.  anyways, it was a good shooter,but alas, someone wanted more than I did and it's gone.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Where did you find a preban for $400?!! Essential Arms stopped making lowers before the '94 ban when they went out of biz.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I purchased it from a lifelong friend who got it from another West Point graduate back in the late 80's.  I flew out to visit him and was more than willing to pay him the $600 he originally quoted me  but when it was time to leave he gave it to me for $400.

I wouldn't sell it, but what do you think it would be worth in good condition.

BTW, I'm replacing the lower parts with a new set from Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
It's probably worth around $900-1000 in very good condition. However, if we fail to defeat any proposed 'AW' bans in 2004 the prices for prebans may rise sharply but we need to work hard to stop that from happening so we can all enjoy owning a complete, unaltered AR15 at a decent price. Good luck with your new AR, let us know how she performs on the range.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:47:40 AM EDT
[#6]
It just so happens my wife and I filled out our absentee ballots for this years state elections.  Republican across the board.  I plan to keep my firearms to pass down to my two sons.  I hope others do the same.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Did Essential Arms make complete rifles, or just lowers?  If they only made lowers (or if this one left the factory as a lower) then to be ABSOLUTELY SURE it is preban, you really need to know that it was put into a complete rifle before the '94 ban.

I know it's anal, but I didn't make the law.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I know for a fact it was a complete CAR before 1994.  I was there when my friend purchased it around 1989.  It's good to be anal about the laws, since they are so vague.  This is the reason why I entered my original post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top