Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2002 4:21:31 PM EDT
I recently bought a brand new Beretta Tomcat 32 acp.  The first time I shot it, it worked perfectly until It jammed on the 49th round, which was a failure to feed malfunction.  Then I took it home and cleaned it

Today at the range, I had a similar experience.  The first 6 full magazines went fine, then the same jam.  After that, I dissasembled the gun and oiled it up big time with FP-10.  Afterwhich it jammed every few round.  All types of malfunctions with ejections mostly, some failure to feed.  I then disasembled the weapon and wiped out all grease and carbon, afterwhich it worked great for about 40 rounds.

This thing is really pissing me off.  It seams it only works well when it is really clean.  I will have to further evaluate it.

Any comments, similar experiences, related experiences?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:45:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#2]
KEL-TEC  
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
While it would be nice if your gun didn't jam when dirty, you need to understand that a Tomcat is not like a 1911 or a Glock.  It isn't designed or expected to be fired all day.  It's meant to be used as an emergency backup gun, which the expectation that it will only need to fire a mag or two at most.

I'm with you!  If I can be sure that this gun will be reliable on the first mag, I'll be happy.  But it will take a year for me to test it sufficiently under this condition.  I only get to the range once a month or so.

I'm a little guy, so I need a small framed weapon to carry concealed.

Link Posted: 10/15/2002 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Tomcats are sometimes ammunition sensitive. Try a different brand. Round nose bullets feed much better than hollow points too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If I am not mistaken the gun was designed to shoot the Winchester Silvertip .32 round.  It may function with other ammo, but not reliably.  Get a North American Arms .380 Guardian instead.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Try the Winchester Silvertips exclusively for a couple of sessions and see if the reliability issue resolves itself.

My wife's Tomcat is OK with the Silvertips and regular ball ammo.

My model 84F is super reliable and comfortable to use.  The wife liked it even better than the Tomcat!  Everybody who has shot the 84F .380 likes it...  It's just a good pistol.  Maybe one of those would work better for you.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone done anything to their Tomcat trigger to smooth it out?  If so,  who did it?
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I recently bought a brand new Beretta Tomcat 32 acp.  The first time I shot it, it worked perfectly until It jammed on the 49th round, which was a failure to feed malfunction.  Then I took it home and cleaned it

Today at the range, I had a similar experience.  The first 6 full magazines went fine, then the same jam.  After that, I dissasembled the gun and oiled it up big time with FP-10.  Afterwhich it jammed every few round.  All types of malfunctions with ejections mostly, some failure to feed.  I then disasembled the weapon and wiped out all grease and carbon, afterwhich it worked great for about 40 rounds.

This thing is really pissing me off.  It seams it only works well when it is really clean.  I will have to further evaluate it.

Any comments, similar experiences, related experiences?

A Tomcat uses no extractor, It relies on the blowback pressure to extract. You must use Hot ammo. What did you use? If the slide doesnt get sent back enough it doent eject or strip rounds very well. No extractor+dirty chamber= #@$%%Jam.
GG
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a PT22 Taurus for the ex.( Tomcat copy) It was the same. When clean, it worked great. Dirty and it jammed etc. Shoot it a little, clean it VERY well, oil as normal and carry it with the ammo you shoot.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 5:06:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I prefer a 1911, but this thing was SO CUTE, I had to get it.
It's been very reliable.
Link Posted: 10/19/2002 10:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
ive shot 100 rounds straight through my tomcat and no trouble, same mag and dirty.
its prolly more of a ammo problem than gun problem.

i havent shot any HPs out of it though, becareful what grain bullets you are using, the instructions say to not use more than 71gr, anything more might be too hard on the gun, the S&B is 73gr, FYI, i wouldnt use anything too light either.

your also NOT supposed to dry-fire this gun, which is a difficult thing to do since there is no slide hold open device, and unless you count the rounds you are gonna dry fire it every time on a empty chamber. ive heard of a few broken firing pins with this gun, at about the 1000rnd mark.
my remedy is to get a 32acp snap cap to be the last round fired in the mag, so the firing pin doesnt dry fire on an empty chamber, also you might want to get your hands on a couple extra firing pins.
i heard the trigger smooths out after about 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 11:09:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Wow,,,,I own the Tomcat in stainless version.  Well after my last deer hunting trip I just got back from, on the off time I shot 4 boxes of ammo through it.  Totally 200 rounds.  Only had oil on it from the last cleaning (about 5 months ago) and not one jam!!!!

Then I shot a brand new box (25 rounds) of Federal Hydra Shoks.  Not one jam.  The gun is now cleaned, re oiled with Shooter's choice FP-10 and loaded up with new Hydra Shoks again.  

I'm wondering if perhaps you're using some type of after market magazine.  Or the issued Beretta magazine has some bent feed lips or something.

One thing is for sure.  Even though you oil the gun, don't put any of that FP-10 inside the chamber itself.  Because the gun doesn't have an extractor to pull the empty casing out, the oil collects carbon and dirt from shooting.  That crud coupled with a case the expands ever so slightly immediately after firing can cause the empty case to get stuck inside or partially inside the chamber.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same problems with my tomcat.  Funny thing is, it seems to run fine if I only load 5 rounds in the mag instead of a full 7.  Don't have a clue why, but it seems to work.  Maybe the follower is tipping or something like that that.  I really like the feel of it and it's an accurate little piece.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I agree 100% with Rabbit9..GET A KEL-TEC!!!
The Kel-Tec P32 is about half as thick as the Beretta and weighs 6oz unloaded.  The Beretta weighs 14.5 ounces, more than twice what the Kel-Tec weighs.

Before you go to the range, lube the hell out of it with CLP, shoot 100 rounds of ball ammo through it, and you've got what IMNSHO is the BEST mousegun ever invented.  Sure, the Beretta has better sights and is more accurate but who cares!  These are belly guns, made to be used at about 5 yards, and the Kel-Tec is so small and light that you'll carry it everywhere.

I own several P-32s, they will feed CorBon, Federal Hydra-Shoks, Winchester Silvertips flawlessly.  Great pistol, great price....GET ONE!  If you're not happy with it I'll buy it from you at full dealer price even though it is slightly used.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 6:19:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Beretta 21A, IMO it is very similar, when I bought it I absolutely hated it. It would jam about twice per mag. I tried all kinds of stuff. Eventually, the problem spontaneously solved itself and it hasn't jammed since. These were all failures to extract, the round would wedge itself between the slide and chamber (usually, sometimes it wouldn't come out at all). It was probably after about 600 rounds (rough estimate) when it cleared up. Now I love my "Peashooter."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top