Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 8:34:42 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy an "adult" air rifle for about $100 and need some suggestions.  I'd like a .177 with a muzzle velocity at 700fps or above, decent hardwood stock, steel parts, scope groove,  and adjustable target sights.

I've heard good things about the Chinese knockoffs.  I see a Crossman at Wal-Mart for $100, and I've seen a CZ at my gunshop that looked nice...

What would you reccomend?
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
When I was 6 I got a Crossman for christmas. That was 13 years ago and it still fires like its new. Use it every once in a while for small birds and to bother squirrels. Probably not much of a adult gun though.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been really pleased with my Daisy Powerline 880
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have been really pleased with my Daisy Powerline 880, you can pick them up for about 40 dollars and they shoot about 650 to 700 fps i think.  i have never had a problem killing a bird with it.  They also seem to be built for a bigger person too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
if you search the web carefully you can find 900+fps-capable chinese rifles that fit your description. i think cummins industrial tools sells them for $19.95. ive got one, decent shooter.
www.cumminstools.com/tap/tools/4110.html
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a Sheridan!
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend a BSA SuperSport, killer adult air gun, better than a Gamo. Go to:
www.airgunforum.com

You will get all the answers you seek.
Link Posted: 10/15/2002 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting...

I just got a pellet trap today, got out the old Daisy 880 and it's doin' 1 cm groups at 20'.

I've been wanting a 22 cal one, but the better ones cost as much as an inexpensive firearm!  I think the one I was looking at was an RWS.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The chinise knock offs are about 30 bucks,one pump .177 cal.       I killed a skunk with one!

Pretty good gun for the bucks.

Bob  
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 12:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Take your airgun questions to this site:
www.airguns.net
It's like AR15.com...for airguns!

For Chinese, I recommend starting with the XS- B18 (approx. $80) purchased through:
www.funsupply.com
For other brands:
www.pyramidair.com
there's more places that folks have had good dealings with.

For a great silent trap design:
www.babymd.net look around for his airgun section.

Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I like Benjamin pneumatic rifles, but they aren't so hot for scoping. They are just over $100, not made as good as they used to be, but still better than the Cheapo Daisy or Crosman pneumatics, and with walnut stocks.

I personally do not like the odd jump of the more powerful spring-air guns. Always seemed to me the accuracy and point of impact varied too much, depending on how you hold them. This could actually be good training in using a consistent grip, etc., but the high-powered (~1100 fps) spring-air rifle I used to own gave especially disappointing results when fired from a bench or other solid support. I guess it "bounced" off the rigid bench more or less depending on how firm the sandbags were and a million other variables. Plus I could not get a scope/mount combination to stay on it for more than 100 rounds without something creeping or coming loose. The rifle was OK for offhand practice with iron sights, but so is my old Benjamin.

I did see some Winchester brand spring-air rifles, made in Turkey with very nice walnut stocks, selling for very reasonable prices at a Gander Mountain store a few months ago. MUCH classier looking metal than the Chinese ones, MUCH nicer wood, not so many plastic parts as some of the other European brands, Winchester backed, and priced less than 100 bucks, IIRC.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top