Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2002 1:04:21 AM EDT
Just got me a Springfield Armory "loaded" 1911.  I was wondering what is the reason they have a two piece recoil spring guide assembly as compared to the one piece?  Can I replace the two piece to a one piece like found on the Colt Government models?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]
2 piece screws together, is slightly longer than one piece and works fine when tightened properly; one piece is sturdier and can be fitted but may require a new recoil plug too
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:32:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The 2 piece is supposed to be easier to install / remove.

Yes you can replace it with a 1 piece or even the standard "plug" used in the original design.

The only real benefit I have seen using the full length guide rods is they add a bit more weight to the gun. I have never been able to notice any improvement in function. Its mostly a marketing gimmic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The purpose for the rod is to "capture the recoils spring and keep it straight as it compress. With out the rod, the s[ring is free to twist/bind up inside the tunnel which it is housed. 2 piece rods are easier to work with, especially when you want to take the upper apart. Truthfully, 1 piece rod for 1911 needs to be outlawed, TOO BIG of PIA.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a two-piece Ed Brown in my Para.  Added a little weight to the muzzle which was nice.  Also smoothed out the cycling.  Ease of installation is the reason for a two-piece.  No real need for it outside of the reasons I mentioned.  1911's have worked for years with the std. plug.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top