Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2002 8:46:32 PM EDT
Which lower would you use if you were to build a post ban AR15 and why?
Colt and Knight are not an option due to their cost.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Calvary Arms cuz its of its light weight and high strength
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If you get stick with the forged lowers all of them probably are pretty close in fit and finish. Of the manufacturers you have listed I would say that Armalite and Bushmaster have the best reputation for all around quality. A lot of people have real good things to say about RR Arms. This is just my opinion, but I would choose Armalite. I say this because that is the manufacturer I'm most familiar with and not because I have anything bad to say about the others.

About the only things that would separate these manufacturers is the slight price range, warranty, and customer service. If you are on a budget you can probably get one from Olympic for around $25.00 dollars less.

Edited because I forgot about Calv Arms. They definetly have the cool factor going with all the different color stocks and the lighter weight. They have matching handguards to.

Tough decision.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:03:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt? Not an option??? WTF?

Ok.. maybe not for a postban. But i think my Pre ban Colt was well worth it. Of course, I bought the whole rifle, then sold the upper ot the original owner and put on my own upper. ;)
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:36:01 AM EDT
[#4]
RRA, as good as bushamster at lower cost.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Either one of those recievers will work.  Bushmaster, Rock River, Eagle Arms, and DPMS are about the same quality.  I have one of each.  Olympic Arms is not bad and their quality has improved from the past.

max
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Colt? Not an option??? WTF?

Ok.. maybe not for a postban.

NAM come on man Colt is the only way to go! But my post was to find out which of the "lower cost lowers" people like the most and why.

Thanks for your post fellow pre ban Colt owner. Also thanks to everyone else who has posted keep them coming.

Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:55:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Have threee Ars; preban colt flatside, Rock River, and Bushie.  They all work, and parts fit on all is about equal, so only finish and outer shaping is a factor as I look at them.

Rock River is easily the best in that area.  The Bushie is a bit behind the RR, mainly because of the shaping of the front of the magazine well, which is poorly shaped with a hump in the middle.

The Colt is easily the worst.  Tool marks and overactive grinding on the edges and rounded corners are the main defects.  Not major, and I never gave it much thought until I got the RR unit a couple of years ago. The Colt was built during the height of the Viet Nam era, so maybe later units are better finished and shaped.

Doesn't really matter in the long run though.  I ain't selling any of 'em .  On the other hand, if I do build up another piece, I'll probably go with Rock River.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I see Rock River Arms and Bushmaster are at a tie right now 34% each chose them. A few people have mentioned the Rock... having very good finish any seconds to that????
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#9]
RRA. Nice finish. Excellent value. Great trigger.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:32:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Their not all the same, Rock River Arms is the best!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Of the ones listed, isn't the Bushmaster the only one that is truly 'mil spec'?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]
People use milspec like it's some secret that only the ABC's know how to do, give any of them drawings and a machine and they all can make em mill spec, no big deal, unless you like to pick pepper out of fly shit.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Of the ones listed, isn't the Bushmaster the only one that is truly 'mil spec'?

No.  None of them are truly 'mil spec' unless they are select fire.  As for Bushmaster being the only one that is 'mil spec', what bunk.  It is no more mil spec than any of the others.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 4:58:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Pick fly shit out of pepper with boxing gloves on? Tough!
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, this is for the 'mil-spec' debunkers:
From the Maryland AR15 Shooters Site (ironically...)
READ the material on that link...please!  It's a great site and source of information.  Have fun.

Bushmaster and Colt use the 'mil-spec' barrel material.
Bushmaster does not cut away the material for installation of 'mil-spec' parts in their receivers; Colt and the 'others' do.
The 'other' companies do not use the 4150 chrome/moly barrel material; only some have M16 chamber dimensions.
This is why I asked the question in the first place.
Bunk?  No.  I wouldn't bunk you!

groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/ar15brands.msnw
------------------------
Bushmaster:

Chrome Lined Barrels & Chambers: Standard (not avail on DCM or Varminter rifle)

Chamber Type: M16 (except DCM or Varminter Rifles which are SAAMI)

Barrel Material: 4150 chrome/moly (Mil-Spec), Stainless (avail for DCM model)

Standard Pins: Yes

DCM Variant: Yes

Other Calibers: No

Lightweight Styles Available: A2 (preban only), M4 (both 14.5 & 16" versions), Lightweight 16" (A1 type - preban only) , Fluting

Warranty: Limited 1 year parts & workmanship

Extras: Hard case, 10 round magazine, nylon sling, manual.  DCM/CMP rifles add a 2nd magazine and a Viper range safety device.

Notes: Closest to Mil-Spec AR-15s that are field capable and accurate. Good Customer Service. Some have had indexing problems resulting in excessive windage for zeroing (fixed for free).  C7 uppers are available (A1 upper with brass deflector) and are called A1 uppers in the catalog.

Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]
How many of these lower receivers are actually made by the same vendor and machined in the same shop as all the rest?

In other words, does Bushy, Colt, RR, et al. actually make their own forgings?
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 6:59:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Why Bushmaster is a first/best quality firearm:
www.bushmaster.com/le/

Some of the Agencies using the Bushmaster sytem:
www.bushmaster.com/le/agencies.htm

SWS-
I'm going to ask your question in the Bushmaster Forum to get the answer, 'cuz I want to know too!
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=138407
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Best as in what? Best looking? Best fitting? Best functioning?

I've put together a bunch of ARs from stripped lowers from several different companies, Bushmaster, EA, RRA, OlyArms, Sendra.

If you just want a functioning rifle, it doesn't matter, the all work just the same. The more expensive you get the better they look in regards to machining, tool marks, finish, etc.

I've put together forged lowers and cast lowers and there is no difference functionality wise. The lower has very little pressure exerted on it and there is no real advantage in forged over investment cast other than looks.

My cast Oly rifles worked as well as my factory Colt. Naturally the Colt looked better but at a higher cost. What I believe is more important than the lower itself is the quality of internals that are used. I'd take a bottom feeder lower with quality guts over a Bushmaster lower with bottom feeder guts any day.

Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the Rocky's
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:17:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I like the Rocky's

I have to admit, for the price and the degree of fit and finish, they're hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried the Armscorp AC-15 receiver?  I have seen them advert in SGN for $110.00 and at a gun show for $125.00 (Would of bought one at the show, but the guy was a busy arguing with another customer about which part was correct for another rifle).  They looked forged, had crisp markings, and good finish.  

Has anyone build one of these, how well do the parts fit into it?

To answer the question of which lower reciever is best, Well it is personal prefrence.  I have build Bushmaster, Olympic, and RRA  lowers.  All worked 100% without a problem.  The Bushmaster costed me the most $150 and the Oly the least $75.  The Bushmaster and Oly have the best logo's,where the RRA just said "Rock River Arms".  I have build 22 rifles (not all for me, help friends get their rifles together also) in the past 3 years, and purchased a quality lower which at the time costed the least.  IMO you are always safe buying a Bushmaster, Eagle, Oly, or RRA.  Just shop around for the best deal.

On a finial note..........a Bushmaster lower parts kit will always fit a Bushmaster lower.

OSA
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#22]
COLT, you retard!
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I like Bushy and RRA.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
How many of these lower receivers are actually made by the same vendor and machined in the same shop as all the rest?

In other words, does Bushy, Colt, RR, et al. actually make their own forgings?

Good question SWS. Please post the answer for everyone when you get it.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've put together a bunch of ARs from stripped lowers from several different companies, Bushmaster, EA, RRA, OlyArms, Sendra.

If you just want a functioning rifle, it doesn't matter, the all work just the same. The more expensive you get the better they look in regards to machining, tool marks, finish, etc.

Ponny...

This is what I believe too. I want to see what the majority thinks. It seems RRA is keeping the high vote. I thought for sure it would of been Bushmaster for some reason.

I do wish the RRA's had a logo instead of just the writing.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 4:15:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Gents, this was the answer posted by SSR-99 in the Industry/Bushmaster Forum where I posted SWS's question:

The AR15/M16 builders get their upper and lower receiver forgings from various outside foundries. They use the same methods of forging, so that is not where the differences are. When Colt, Bushmaster, ect, get their forgings, they have to do all the final machining, heat treating, finish coatings, ext, ect. And yes, even Colt does it this way. Any differences are going to be noticed once the manufacturer does these steps to the forgings they receive. As far as the forgings go, they are all pretty much the same, except for indentification markings on them. Even then, many times a company like Bushmaster will purchase a bunch of forgings that were made using someone elses dies. It does not matter, because the machining they do on these receivers will be the same as the receivers forged with their own companies dies. As long as they are foundry forged, no matter the AR receiver foundry, the true important difference will be in what gets done to them after arriving at the manufactures factory for machining and such. That is where it becomes the final product.

It looks like the finished product is whatever the Brand Name you prefer decides to do to it.
Kinda like your gasoline, huh?
Same gas, only different additives!
Works for me.
I'll remain a Bushmaster consumer.
YMMV, as the saying goes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top