Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 9:35:15 AM EDT

I think mine is pretty close, if not there a while ago.  The last firearm I bought was in July. I have only shot it a few times, partly due to work, but also because ammo shortage.  I have a safe on layaway to help out the storage problem, but I start thinking I would like a new Glock 36, or a Enfield No.1mkIII, then remember, oh, yea, .44 cast bullets, 5.56X45, .308, other ammo, new scope for my hunting rifle, other accessories......on, and on, and on.....  and on a teacher's salary!

How many of you have reached this point?  Trying to keep up all they accessories is killing me, but I still want more.  I make room, but that never seems to help much.  Do you stick to a finite number of firearms, and sell one when you get a new one?  I was told this was sacrilege, but what's a fellow to do?  Every time I sell a gun, I hate myself and regret it later.  What's your situation?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#1]
what's this "maximum" you speak of, I do not understand?
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Mine reached the maximum of my 3 safes awhile back but that does not stop me from filling up the closet too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I didn't know you could have too many firearms.   Guess I learned something new today.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:34:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine reached the maximum of my 3 safes awhile back but that does not stop me from filling up the closet too.

Sounds familiar.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#6]
With an infinite number of guns out there but very finite finances (at least in my case), sometimes ya gotta check yer priorities.

My collection has been SHRINKING for years ... ever since I discovered the joys of NFA toys. Why waltz when you can rock-and-roll? I'm now down to one "gun" safe ... and two others to store all the ammo I burn up. Most all my prebans and hunting guns went on to appreciative new owners. I miss 'em, but I'd much rather have one M16 than five preban ARs. It goes through about ten times the ammo than all five combined, too!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I only have one safe, but it over flowed years ago. Luckily, my dad has a big safe and some of my stuff is down there....

Ammo in the safe??  Now THAT's luxury!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think there's such a thing, but I do have a couple left on my radar. After I finish my 9mm AR, FAL and AR-10 projects I need to concentrate on other things. I need a new couch, bed and will be getting a new vehicle in a couple months and money needs to go into those. After that I'll get whatever catches my fancy. I'll probably be burning through money quick since I've got my C&R now.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#10]
You got go to one of the C&R collector boards. There people talk about the 100 guns they have and how the ROOM is filling up. When someone posts a picture of their 200 gun collection I think " I really don't have that many".
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
My collection isn't at maximum but my credit card is!

Thanks for reminding me, Dick!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm tapped out, tricked out, and versatile beyond my needs.  I need a particular scope for my 300 Winchester I'm saving for, some more ammo, some bow-flage, and I need to attach an AK brake to my AK, paint the safe black and I'm off to bigger things.

Like building a deck, finishing a room in the basement, paving the driveway, landscaping, and buy a new truck.

And a Howitzer, I want a Howitzer.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have no firearms
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My firearm collection has reached its max and will not be purchasing anymore.

My savings account has reached its max and no need to save anymore.

My sexual fulfillment has reached its max and will not be having sex anymore.

Ok, so by now you know I am kidding.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#15]
i tell everyone i'm saving for an m-16, but i keep finding new toys to buy.
i had dinner out the other day and when i got the bill, i thought: 50 bucks! that's half a case of wolf 9mm!
i think i need a second job. sleep's wasted time anyway.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a collection and space "problems" also.

I can assure you that the easiest and most enjoyable way to cure these two ailments are to switch to NFA toys.

I went from buying one gun every month or two (man can shotgun news be addictive or what) to only buying two guns in the past 14 months.

Everytime I think about buying another inexpensive semi AR or FAL, I just think about how thoes funds will inch me ever closer to the next elusive MG purchase.

As stated before there is this love hate relationship with Ammo. A case of 9MM that used to last 6 months,now only lasts an afternoon.  So my current question of the past 6 months is do I buy another case or save what amounts to 1/30 of a Vector Uzi.

Damn!

James
Austin Texas
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:13:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I can echo some of what's on here.  Last gun I bought was in March, and that's quite a drought.  Only a 10/22 too.

But I also recently finished the transaction on my Vector Uzi.  That slows down your semiauto appetite.  Now I just keep my eyes open for smokin' deals on other stuff, because I have most of the *really* cool stuff I *need*.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:11:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Once you have a good collection of all of your favorites then you need to acquire a second one of each.  Double the pleasure, double the fun.  Keep one for playin and one for, well because you can, what ever the reason.  I have doubles of most of my favorites except some really high$$$ but I will get them,eventually. Well I guess this applies except for NFA then who could afford the fodder??    
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Collection reached it's maximum?

Never.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm close. After 20 years of collecting and shooting it's getting harder to find something that interests me.

About the only thing that still interests me is a .50 BMG but at a couple of thousand dollars each ($1000 for an AR upper) how many rounds would I run though the wicked thing?
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#21]
In regards to all the hoopla in the media, I sold all my firearms.  I now have only pepper spray.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#22]
In regards to all the hoopla in the media, I sold all my firearms.  I now have only pepper spray.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#23]
BLASPHEMY!

Your question presupposes a limit on the number of toys one may have and suggests the possibility of exceeding that limit.

That's like asking if God can create a rock so big that he can't pick it up. Or if Superman is strong enough to punch through himself.

Sophistry such as this has no place among the true believers.

It does however help pass the time while commuting.

BTW, no. There's always someone willing to sell me one more safe and goodies with which to fill it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
When you have:
- suppressed/select-fire 22LR
- suppressed/select-fire 9MM
- suppressed/select-fire 5.56MM Commando/shorty
- select-fire standard 5.56
- suppressed/select-fire 5.56MM belt-fed
- select-fire 7.62MM/8MM belt-fed

I'm almost there - just need suppressed/select-fire belt-fed 5.56MM (Shrike).

You seem to be overlooking crew served and mounted weapons.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:53:25 AM EDT
[#25]
I will have reached the max. when I die. Until then, all firearms are fair game. Get-u-some-more.
MM419
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 9:44:00 AM EDT
[#26]
i ran out of cases for all of mine a while ago, now i just have them leaning up against things in my room.  i need a cabinet or safe.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top