Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2002 8:04:48 PM EDT
One of my buddies has bought cheap ($20) a .22LR.  It is in rough shape, and needs lots of love.  Someone replaced one of the screws with a BOLT! (as in machine bolt).  We took it out today, shoots like a dream.  SO far, we decided to:
1.  Strip and refinish stock, filling in an extra hole that was one time used as a sling mount.
2.  Remove the rest of the bluing, along with all the damm rust (lots of rust)
3.  Complete disassembly and cleaning, to say the least.

I cleaned the bore, and it is good.  It appears to have a micro grove marlin type riffling.  It is marked:
Sears,Robuck, and CO.
Mod 42-103-2840-22cal SL$LR  SEARS

I belive this was actually manufactured for sears by marlin.  Am I correct?  Any other info?  It is UGLY but shoots so good it deserves to be brought back, or at least made better.

Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
There's probably been close to two dozen mfgrs who made .22s for Sears thru the years. There's several references you may find helpful such as Numrich's catalog or R.L. Wilson's gun guide. Both have pictures of guns & oyu may find exactly what you have in case someone in here doesn't ID it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2002 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#2]
It didn't happen to have a makeshift  aluminium trigger guard and electical tape wrapped arround the stock did it?

edited for spellin
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#3]
BaNo,

LOL!  No, its not that bad, yet!  But it was going down that road fast.

Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 9:59:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Hope it is a labor of love. When you strip the stock and bluing, the value goes with it as it is no longer original. Probably not worth much anyway, so why not?? Just keep it as a shooter.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BaNo,

LOL!  No, its not that bad, yet!  But it was going down that road fast.

Art in KY

K just wondering I had a similar model rifle with the above mentioned defects when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hope it is a labor of love. When you strip the stock and bluing, the value goes with it as it is no longer original. Probably not worth much anyway, so why not?? Just keep it as a shooter.

You got it, defiantly not worth much.  There so much rust and pitting it about needs to be sanded.  Has anyone cold blued an entire rifle like this before?
Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 11:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I cold-blued the barrel of a Mosin-Nagant after sanding away the lathe marks.  I used Brownell's Oxpho-Blue and it looked great.  Just don't dip the used swab / cloth back into the bottle.  Despite the instructions, I found that degreasing and slightly warming the metal resulted in a better-looking finish.

I am also hearing good things about this new Blue Wonder bluing chemical.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top