BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2002 1:39:40 AM EDT
Any tips on cleaning lever actions?  
Thank you,
Sleepy717
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 7:39:42 AM EDT
[#1]
get a set of gunsmith screw drivers and learn how to take it completely apart and clean every piece.  that's the best way.  second best is to hose it down with an aerosol cleaner.  when it get's to grungy to function send it to a gun smith and have him clean it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I find a bore snake or Otis cleaning kit to be better than using a rod.  with the flexible systems you can clean from the breach.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Spray out the action and chamber with Gunscrubber using a brush to knock off anything visable to the eye.  Use a bore brush and patches on the barrel with Breakfree CLP.  Then use a boresnake to finish it up and lube the entire action with CLP, wipe away any excess oil outside the action and barrel.

It take alot less time for me to clean my lever guns than it does my AR's.  Usually about 20 minutes max.!
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 6:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you to all who responded.  I have to shut down and go clean this beast.  I just loaded up some 350 gr fp's and I'm almost ready to head to the range after work tomorrow.  
Sleepy717
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top