Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2002 5:30:18 PM EDT
Hey guys and gals.  I have a quick (probably idiotic) question.  I am looking to sell or trade my S&W 686 Plus for SA 1911 MilSpec, but I have a problem.  I was gonna put it on the EE, but I am kinda timid.  Is it legal for me (a Non-FFL holder) to trade or sell a weapon.  How does that work?  All the FFL dealers that i've used for transfers require a FFL holder to ship it to them in the first place.  Also, if I was to trade, would we both have to send it through an FFL dealer?  Please help!!  I dont want to get knee deep in something I dont know a drop about.  Thanks in advance..
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#1]
If/when you sell it, call your FFL dealer, tell them you want them to ship a handgun to another FFL for you, and ask them how much they charge. If you are satisfied with the price, then tell whoever bought it to find an FFL holder to accept a handgun for him. Then, his (the buyer) FFL holder must send a signed in ink copy of his FFL to your FFL holder. Then, your FFL will ship it to his FFL. Oh yeah, that wasn't an idiotic question. YOu know what they say,
"The only stupid question is the question that wasn't asked."
HTH
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes , you can still sell and trade guns without a FFL.  You can't ship a gun without a FFL, unless it's going to a FFL.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
So,
If I want to sell my Swedish Mauser, as long as I ship it to an FFL, I'm OK?  OR do I have to send it FROM an FFL TO an FFL?
thanks,
Rich
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So,
If I want to sell my Swedish Mauser, as long as I ship it to an FFL, I'm OK?  OR do I have to send it FROM an FFL TO an FFL?
thanks,
Rich

You can mail a rifle directly to the buyer's FFL.  You can even use USPS, it's the cheapest.  However, your state laws may be more restrictive.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Put it on the EE, you may get a local buyer which is cool because then you can transfer it at your local FFL and not have to ship it. For the most part long guns can be shipped by non FFL's to a buyers FFL. Private sales of long guns do not require an FFL, only hand guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool , thanks.
rich
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:42:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Put it on the EE, you may get a local buyer which is cool because then you can transfer it at your local FFL and not have to ship it. For the most part long guns can be shipped by non FFL's to a buyers FFL. Private sales of long guns do not require an FFL, only hand guns.

Interesting...  Here, a private sale only requires that you have the money.  No FFL for long guns or handguns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top