Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2002 1:33:10 PM EDT
Sarco is advertising .308 heavy barrels (.920 entire length, 26" long) for something like $35 ea, or 3 for $99.  I ordered 3 and have installed 2 on Czech actions, one for a customer, and one on mine.  mine has the bedding compound hardening as I type.  The barrels are advertised as Parker Hale, that were removed from receivers that had questionable metalurgy.  They arrived a little dirty, with some light surface rust on the outside, and new looking bores.  There are two holes near the muzzle where a sight was attached.  I cut them down to 25 inches to remove the holes and turned down a recessed target crown on the lathe.

I shot the customers gun for him today to check for accuracy, and to see if he should go ahead and spring for a good trigger.  With the military stock he had cut down, no bedding, bushnell scope, surplus south african ball ammo, and a crummy mauser military trigger it shot a 1 1/8 " group!  I imagine with a good bedding job and a nice crisp trigger, it will be a nice rifle!  I am bedding mine in a nice heavy walnut stock I found in the stacks of stocks in my shop.  I'll bring it to the GSFS if it's done in time.

Just a heads up on the bbls, a pretty good investment!

Balming
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:04:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a question for ya Balming. Would it be possible to fit one of these to a remmy 700 action? If yes do you think it would make a reasonable "budget" tactical rifle? Now if the answer to both of these is yes could you give me a quote on installing the bbl cutting it to 20" truing the action & lapping the lugs? If I'm goin to give out business I might as well give it to someone here. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:55:32 AM EDT
[#2]
All of that is possible, but by paying someone to rethread the bbl for the Rem, and have to recut the chamber, you could buy a barrel from Midway.  If you can find a $50 Mauser, put a $35 Bold adjustable trigger in it, a $35 bbl from Sarco, and $85 for barrel installtion, you would have $205 in a nice target rifle!

Also my tooling for Remington Actions was lost/stolen while moving my shop recently.  The only tooling I have now is for mausers and m1 carbines.

balming
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm I do have a 98 Mauser in the safe.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Hello I have a vz24 with a sewer pipe for a barrel.
I don't have the proper tools so.
How much to have you put one of the sarco barrels on it? and to have it cut down w/ a crown?
Barrel length with a .308? probably short 20/22in
Do I have to modify the mag?
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut to length and put a recessed target crown-$35.  Remove old barrel, install new one and cut chamber-$85.

Sometimes the magwells need work, and sometimes not.  The VZ24 often needs little to none.  It's one of the best actions to build from.

Balming
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top