Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2002 9:33:46 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban upper that I'd like to change to a post-ban configuration. I'll be changing the F/H to a muzzle break (complete with blind pins, etc.), but I'd like to figure out a way to leave the bayonet lug on there while still rendering it inoperable. For instance, there are some side sling adaptors that require the bayonet lug for leverage that I'd like to use. Do any of you have any suggestions or made similiar alterations?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I've read (probably here) that a person can file or mill off the tabs or ears to render the lug useless for mounting a bayonet. Conversely a person could fill in the lug by welding it then fling it smooth. Only problem is I don't think the BATF recognizes either as being acceptable.
It's probably a grey area at best; illegal at worst. Personally, I wouldn't chance it without some approval from the feds.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 10:02:46 AM EDT
[#2]
As Aces-and-Eights said, there are two methods used and DPMS had sold uppers with a bayonet lug without the ears... I am not sure if they still do it!

Just remember, the law says no BAYONET LUG!  As long as it will not mount a bayonet, then it would be OK!  I would weld some material onto the side of the lug myself but that is just me!

It wouldn't hurt to look for a copy of a letter or write the AFT to confirm it is OK as a letter in hand is a good idea when playing with the L.E.T.T.E.R. of the law!
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Or you could just take a hacksaw to it and lop the whole thing off. Finish with a file and cold blue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]
i had the same problem, and i fixed it with a dremel and some cold blue......
lopped the sucker right off.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 12:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]

. I'll be changing the F/H to a muzzle break (complete with blind pins, etc.),

But you still have the threads on the barrel. A threaded barrel(muzzle) on a post ban is also a no no.

BTW Does anyone actually know of a case where someone was busted solely for having a preban upper on a post ban lower?

I know I haven't.
I've never seen the JBT's running around camp perry checking serial numbers or carting people off because they have too many evil features on their HDR's.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

. I'll be changing the F/H to a muzzle break (complete with blind pins, etc.),

But you still have the threads on the barrel. A threaded barrel(muzzle) on a post ban is also a no no.

BTW Does anyone actually know of a case where someone was busted solely for having a preban upper on a post ban lower?

I know I haven't.
I've never seen the JBT's running around camp perry checking serial numbers or carting people off because they have too many evil features on their HDR's.

As long as a muzzle brake is permanently attached then it is okay to have a threaded muzzle.

And no, I haven't heard of anyone being busted for too many pre-b stuffs on a post-b rifle. But I'm not going to be the test case, either.

I'll letting my "line-in-the-sand" lay elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If you mill the retaining tabs off the bayonet lug, it's no longer a bayonet lug; just a piece of metal under the front sight base.  ATF must be OK with the procedure. They approved it on two post ban AKs I've got; a Maadi and a Norinco. If it won't retain a bayonet, it's not a bayonet lug
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a couple Cuban cigars, some single malt scotch or a fine wine and go visit your gunsmith. Convince him you are a little dingy, but harmless.

Ask him to weld up the lug and then cut it into a nice square block. Then have him drill and tap it to mount a sling swivel on either side and/or the bottom.

If he doesn't like that, suggest a nice hardened bolt head be welded to stub of the bayonet lug.

Now you have something far more useful than a bayonet lug under your front sight post.

I know, it's not MilSpec, but when was MilSpec ever good enough?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:00:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Take a couple Cuban cigars, some single malt scotch or a fine wine and go visit your gunsmith. Convince him you are a little dingy, but harmless.

Ask him to weld up the lug and then cut it into a nice square block. Then have him drill and tap it to mount a sling swivel on either side and/or the bottom.

If he doesn't like that, suggest a nice hardened bolt head be welded to stub of the bayonet lug.

Now you have something far more useful than a bayonet lug under your front sight post.

I know, it's not MilSpec, but when was MilSpec ever good enough?

If you got a file or a dremil,and a drill why would you need the gunsmith?

Bob
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
That is the way I would prefer to do it. With a vertical mill, endmills, centerdrills, wirefeed welder, exact angles, finished surfaces, perpendicular holes, deburr tools, yada, yada, yada....
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:51:54 AM EDT
[#11]
WHY.................??????????????????

does any one want to remove the bayo lug ?? does it make the rifle that much heavier ??

why not sell the pre-ban for big bucks, then use the money to buy a post-ban & several thousand rounds os ammo ???????????
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 5:57:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:WHY.................??????????????????

does any one want to remove the bayo lug ?? does it make the rifle that much heavier ??

why not sell the pre-ban for big bucks, then use the money to buy a post-ban & several thousand rounds os ammo ???????????

Only the *upper* is pre-ban and he wants to stay legal. Perhaps he got shafted on a sale or got a good deal on a pre-ban upper?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top