Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2002 11:55:25 AM EDT

I want a general purpose short barrelled 7.62 NATO rifle.  Out of these two, which one?  I already have a full size M1A (from '91 w/GI parts), and 14 20 rounders, but FN mags are so cheap, thats not a factor.  I love my M1A, but miss my Springfield SAR48 that I sold to pay bills.
I never had any trouble with my SAR48 (FAL) once I got the gas system adjusted.  Thats one feature I dont particularly care for on the FALs.  The only thing leaning me toward the DSA SA58 is the adaptability in terms of mounting scopes and other widgets and sling options.  Both guns feel good to me, but the M1A's just feel right, well balanced and points naturally.  The FAL has a bit of commonality with my ARs in terms of manipulation in that the safety is in the same location, and I clear the chamber left handed on both guns.  The magazine release sucks equally on both guns.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote would be for the FAL.  But either one is an excellent choice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:02:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I also would go with the FAL.  But I do love those M1A's!
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If money is not the factor, Stick with the MIA.  It to have both, and love them equally, but if I had bought the FAL first, I would not of gotten an MIA. Only reason cheaper mags.  But with the 1994 crime bill sunsetting, Mag prices will go down. M14 mags are starting to creep down a little.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a SA58 Carbine (type 1 receiver, no carry handle) on the way in the next week or so.  I think I'll be paying $1,225 for it. (My credit card hasn't been billed yet, but I know it's around $1,200something.)

I have a M1A Standard w/ black fiberglass stock on my "to get" list. If cheaper 'over 10 round mags' were available for it, it would probably be higher on my list.

So my vote is for the SA58 Carbine, get the box of 10 mags from Tapco.  I ordered the box plus another 10 from CDNN.  Both are about the same.  The only difference I see is the front locking hole is a tad bit bigger on one(I don't remember which) and there is a tiny Belgian "proof" stamp on the Tapco mags.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the M1A they are reliable, the sights are great, more accurate IMO, mags are expensive.

FALs are reliable if you get a good one, the sights stink, mags are cheap, and the sights stink.

Good FALs can be hard to come by many of the cheaper ones are just not reliable and one of the better-made FAL (DSA or custom built) will be as or more expensive than M1A. And DSA has been catching a lot of flack about quality lately, weather they deserved or not hard to tell.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got both in the full size configuration.If I "HAD" to make a choice I'd go with the M1A.Since you've already got a M1A,go with the FAL.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If money is not the factor, Stick with the MIA.  It to have both, and love them equally, but if I had bought the FAL first, I would not of gotten an MIA. Only reason cheaper mags.  But with the 1994 crime bill sunsetting, Mag prices will go down. M14 mags are starting to creep down a little.

It can be renewed, don't assume its going to die peacefully!  Two M1A mags sold can buy 10 FAL mags BRAND NEW.  Go for the FAL and fund it with your M1A mags!  Just make sure to get a quality gun.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Do the M1A . I love FALs but I prefer the M1A.

Have you shot either one ? If it were me , I would arrange a test fire for that kind of dough !

Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:17:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Get the FAL, you can't go wrong with one, specially if you get something nice like a DSA...
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, the M1A is the more accurate of the two. But that DSA my cousin has is just a SWEET machine. If you have a full size M1A already, I'd just go with the DSA. They're not particularly accurate, but they're nice to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Allow me to throw a turd in the punch bowl.

I had a L1A1 & hated it. Always had to adjust the GD gas adjuster when I changed ammo brands. Then I bought my G3 parts gun by Federal!

No more adjusting! Just load & shoot!!!!

Any reason you didn't list the AR-10 as an option? It's more accurate than anything out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Any reason you didn't list the AR-10 as an option? It's more accurate than anything out there.

(NOT STARTING A FLAME WAR!!)
My department has 7 Armalites (5.56mm) that are going back to the factory for various problems, the biggest of which is they work - occassionally.  Im staying away from the quirky AR10 mag conversions and hit and miss quality with Armalite.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 11:12:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd get an FAL but getting another M1A to compliment the one you have makes sense.

Link Posted: 10/4/2002 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd get the FAL just because you already have an M1A and you miss the old FAL you once had.  Gunnuts Rule 11(B):  Don't start duplicating the stuff you have until you have all the stuff!
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 9:56:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Are those inexpensive import M-14 mags any good.  I see that one of the main arguements against the M1A is the cost of mags but I see those imports all over the place.  I realize that they will not be as good as USGI but does anyone know if they work or are they just total POS?
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Lumpy196, I'm in the same dilemma that you are. I'm interested in those exact 2 rifles for the exact same reasons. I'm also considering the AR-10.

I've only shot 1 FAL. I put about 8 rds through it and it malfunctioned 4 times. He said it was being tempermental. It jammed so badly that he had to smack the op handle against the side of the shooting bench to unseize it. I'm sure this was a rare occurance, and that these guns are very good, but it left doubts in my mind. I've shot my full-size M1a alot, with only 1 malfunction.

I don't consider the mag price to be a determining factor, it's a one time outlay of cash. It may hurt at first, but then it's done. It's not like one shoots .20/round, while the other shoots 2.00/rd. That's an ongoing cost that will always hurt. For me reliability, ergonomics, reliability, accuracy, and reliability are what I care most about.

I was going to post a similar thread, but you've already done it. Thanks. I'm looking forward to other people's suggestions.
P.S.- I'm not badmouthing, FAL's, only relating my one experience.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'd get the FAL just because you already have an M1A and you miss the old FAL you once had.  Gunnuts Rule 11(B):  Don't start duplicating the stuff you have until you have all the stuff!

Hey ... nobody ever told me that rule.

Anyways ... since you already have the M1A I'd go for the FAL.  I have both a Belgian Pre-ban and a DSA SA58A.  Love them both, good shooters, decent accuracy.

Ryan
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 5:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
both, who needs to eat?
I have a dsa and love it.  Had an M1A and loved it with iron sites, but had a real hard time keeping a zero with the mount I had, most likely my fault somehow, but I sold it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#20]
M1A  
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
If I am not mistaken, the $800 MSRP Stg58 From DSA can be had with an optional, extra cost carbine-length barrel.  Might be worth it to check, as it would fill the bill for a lot less bills than the two pictured alternatives.

Last time I checked the carbine was $850.00 (plus shipping).
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#22]
ar10
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#23]
The best firearm is the one you are most accurate with. If you are accurate and proficient with the M1A, get the scout.  You have mags, you have experience, parts are interchangable, exc. barrel and stock.  Better to have 2 you are accurate with than one you are and one your not.  Opinions are like, well you know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Are those inexpensive import M-14 mags any good.  I see that one of the main arguements against the M1A is the cost of mags but I see those imports all over the place.  I realize that they will not be as good as USGI but does anyone know if they work or are they just total POS?

If you mean the Taiwan mags,yes they are just as good.They were built on U.S. machinery sold to Taiwan.But they aren't inexpensive.They go for $30 or so.If you're talking about $15 M14 mags then you're probably looking at USA brand mags.TOTAL JUNK!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:12:07 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ar10

Yep.  (Carbine)
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
My department has 7 Armalites (5.56mm) that are going back to the factory for various problems, the biggest of which is they work - occassionally.  Im staying away from the quirky AR10 mag conversions and hit and miss quality with Armalite.

First, we're not talking about AR-15s, we're speaking of AR-10s, totally different animals.

As for "quirky" mag conversions, the factory does them so I don't have to fool with the process.

I have yet to have the first problem at all with my AR-10. OTOH, I have seen many many cops do a less than desirable job on maintenance & operation on firearms.

No flame intended.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Get the M1A Scout.  Hard whacking .308 in a carbine length.  Looks groovy and works great w/ an Aimpoint on top.  And the best spare parts kit for your new Scout is your old M1A.  Or vice versa.  You have the mags and the M1A experience, so stick w/ what works.  JMO.  

Link Posted: 10/5/2002 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]

M1AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top