Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2002 8:32:37 PM EDT
I heard somewhere that Flamethrowers are not considered firearms and are not regulated by the Federal government, and thus could be owned by civilians.

This true, or bullshit?
Link Posted: 9/30/2002 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure you need a DD(Destructive Device) permit to own a working one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:06:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I heard somewhere that Flamethrowers are not considered firearms and are not regulated by the Federal government, and thus could be owned by civilians.

This true, or bullshit?

There are no regulations to own or manuufacture one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:10:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Ok.....we got two differing opinions here. Now, anybody got facts or specific laws that support their "opinion"?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but im sure this guy is looking for a real answer. not someone's opinion, but true facts.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:31:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I certainly know I want one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 2:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
According to Ragnar benson's book breath of the dragon. Flamethowers are not federally regulated. But they may be regulated on the state level. Some times you need foristy permits to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like someone else saw "mail call" last night...

oh yea, i want one in the worst way.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
any laws on having napalm? cause you'll need it to make an effective flame thrower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]

The "flamethrower dude" at Knob Creek usually has some for sale. He also told me no federal regulations.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:29:35 AM EDT
[#9]
You want a flamethrower?

Easy.

Hairspray and a bic lighter.

On a more extravagant setup...I was thinking a Supersoaker and propane torch rig might be kinda nifty...and dangerous too!!!  Fun fun fun!!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You want a flamethrower?

Easy.

Hairspray and a bic lighter.

On a more extravagant setup...I was thinking a Supersoaker and propane torch rig might be kinda nifty...and dangerous too!!!  Fun fun fun!!!

================================================

i prefer carbretor cleaner & a bic.........!!

that combo works very well on unwanted wasp nests, spiders, bees, hornets & even ants....., don't know about cats yet
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

don't' give the boy any ideas!!!
I bet the gasoline would eat away the plastic parts on a Supersoaker.  but something like a high volume metal insecticide sprayer would do.

anyone know the operating pressure of a WWII flame thrower?  how about the hose diameter? nozzle diameter?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:26:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I have heard here before that farmers sometimes use them, so they are not regulated.
They run off of diesel fuel and a nitrogen or oxygen tank or something like that.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They run off of diesel fuel and a nitrogen or oxygen tank or something like that.

Nitrogen, oxygen would be
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#14]
This would be a cool option on your next vehicle purchase.

www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812/11/flame.thrower.car/
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Facts:

Flamethrowers are not firearms.
Flamethrowers are not destructive devices.
Flamethrowers are not explosive devices.

On the federal level, they're completely legal.
But some states may have laws about them, I don't know.

A friend of mine owns one that is perfect and like new and has never been "fired", pardon the pun.  All he needs is a set of correct tanks and he'll pull a burn permit and light the sucker off at a small firebug party, with the fire department standing by.     He also has the aluminized fire clothing worn by airport firemen, which he will be wearing "just in case".

This same friend also owns a Marine Corps surplus HMMWV (It's genuine) and an early Colt M16, so early it's marked AR-15.   It's former Air Force property and is one of the few transferrables of its type.

CJ

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 12:08:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I am sure a flamethrower would make a most excellent home defense weapon! Talk about intimidation! Now if we could just solve the tiny, little problem of burning down your home in the process! LOL.

BTW, I loved what R. Lee Ermey said last night on Mail Call about flame throwers being "crispy critter makers". But unless I am planning on hunting Al Qaeda in the caves of Afghanistan, I don't think I really want one...even if they are legal. Too messy. Hehe.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#17]
the way I look at it I have apsolutely not practical use for such a device and the only substantial affect it could have is me accidentally torching somthing I didn't intent to or myself (the later would be just my luck). it is a pracitically usless accident waiting to happen, and I think that the smart thing to do would be to simply dismiss this dumbass Idea

one the other hand I am a dumbass and in no way smart, and they are funner'n hell, plus I'm sure it would piss off my asshole neighbors.

after careful deliberation, of about 2 seconds the second hand won

would make a great replacement for a snow shovel

"I love the smell of neapalm in the morning"
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#18]
no but still!

how can you legaly own napalm? I know its just normal unleaded (hehe) mixed with some cemicals to turn it into sticky jello stuff.... but where do you get the cemical stuff for mixing?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
how can you legaly own napalm? I know its just normal unleaded (hehe) mixed with some cemicals to turn it into sticky jello stuff.... but where do you get the cemical stuff for mixing?

"...but Dow chemical don't give a shit
cuz napalm sticks to kids
naaapalm sticks to kids, napalm sticks to kids."

You can own gas right? So why not napalm? Flamethrowers are used by sugarcane farmers all the time. They are perfectly legal. Napalm may be made by mixing Tide detergent with gas and adding styrofoam pellets to reach the desired constistancy. You may also use rubber bands. Mix only with a wooden implement in a well ventilated area. Air is used to charge the fuel can. Air is perfectly acceptable and nitrogen is more difficult to get. Any fool with a compressor can get an air cylider filled. Using oxygen would be spectactular to watch....from a distance. Read Manchester's book Goodbye Darkness. He talks about a buddy picking up a fallen comrade's flamethrower. Poor guy didn't know they had a kick and managed to spray straight up dousing himself in flaming napalm. That had to have hurt his pride. Briefly.
Everything else aside, where are you going to fire this thing? Most of us don't live in a desert, and I can't even find a 250M rifle range in the CT area.

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#20]
ok mow im thinking I can make one of these.... that is if its legal. Tide detergent? is that liquid or powder?
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Want to know where to fire off a flamethrower?

Easy.

Contact your local fire department,  particularly a station chief.   Tell him about what you've got and see if you can work out a cooperative arrangement as a training exercise. His firemen get to practice putting out the fire you start.   Whether it's a training structure or an old crack house or a bundle of sticks in a sand quarry, it doesn't really matter.  

Odds are that you will receive an enthusiastic YES.  Firemen LOVE things that spray flames
almost as much as things that spray water!

CJ

Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I saw the episode of Mail Call about the flame throwers the other night.  Very cool. Had to go back and watch the knob creek video again.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 7:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I fired my 3 inch barreled Smith&Wesson Model 13 .357 Magnum with old Winchester 158 grain half-jacket semiwadcutters during low light qualification a long time ago.  The muzzle flash was about 18 inches in diameter and about three fee long.  Lit up the whole damn range, and scared RO.

Does that count?

Also, have you ever fired the M202 "Flash" 4 shot 66mm rocket launcher?  Cool!
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I fired my 3 inch barreled Smith&Wesson Model 13 .357 Magnum with old Winchester 158 grain half-jacket semiwadcutters during low light qualification a long time ago.  The muzzle flash was about 18 inches in diameter and about three fee long.  Lit up the whole damn range, and scared RO.

Does that count?

Hey, wasnt that used in the movie commando? With arnold schwarz watever?
Cool Weapon, although i never seen that ever used in the military.....too flammable? :)
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
ok mow im thinking I can make one of these.... that is if its legal. Tide detergent? is that liquid or powder?

You graduated from highschool and are now a college student. Think about your basic chemistry and answer your own question.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:48:40 AM EDT
[#26]
well excuse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee    for not knowing how to make napalm, maybe Im just not into yer anarchy cookbook crap.

anyway im sure it wont be as good as the governet's cause they spend lots of money on it, or did.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
well excuse meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee    for not knowing how to make napalm, maybe Im just not into yer anarchy cookbook crap.

anyway im sure it wont be as good as the governet's cause they spend lots of money on it, or did.

Good Lord boy! Haven't you learned anything on this site from your past experiences?
The "governet's" napalm is made with...drum roll please..gasoline, detergent, and latex. The Brits invented it. They wanted a sticky incendiary that didn't sublime rapidly. I earned my "anarchy cookbook crap" degrees at Tulane and SLU.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quite a few citrus and avocado farmers I know have and use vehicle-mounted flame throwers that come in handy for lighting the diesel-filled heaters on cold winter nights. IIRC, these flame throwers use a 50-50 mix of diesel and gasoline; you've got to leave about half of the tank empty so you can pressurize it to 120 psi with an air compressor. Also IIRC, there is no regulation preventing sales of these tools.
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quite a few citrus and avocado farmers I know have and use vehicle-mounted flame throwers that come in handy for lighting the diesel-filled heaters on cold winter nights. IIRC, these flame throwers use a 50-50 mix of diesel and gasoline; you've got to leave about half of the tank empty so you can pressurize it to 120 psi with an air compressor. Also IIRC, there is no regulation preventing sales of these tools.

To me this seems like a real glorifyed drip torch. thats been modifyed. drip torches are legal and you can buy them from forestry supplyers and actually have a use. they use 50/50 mix as well. works good for lighting slash piles in fact if ya want one contact
Forestry suppliers Inc
www.forestry-suppliers.com  
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey, wasnt that used in the movie commando? With arnold schwarz watever?
Cool Weapon, although i never seen that ever used in the military.....too flammable? :)

The M202 was used in Commando.  However, the "real thing" uses an aluminum compound (aluminum oxide?) in the warhead to create a brilliant, hot, white flash.  It was supposed to replace flamethrowers.  I only saw it fired once during a firepower demonstration.  Never saw any in line units in 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/4/2002 4:47:29 AM EDT
[#31]
could it be exothermic, magnesium and iron oxide?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top