BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2002 9:05:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought an 18" Rem barrel for my 870.
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
mossburg had a 18.5 barrel for the 870 i saw it in cabelas i think it was $80 bucks

tnrifleman
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a 870HD last year and it came with an 18" barrel.

I'd like another one to send to Hans Vang (Vang Comp).

Its is a cylinder bore. I don't know for certain but it seems as if it could handle rifled slugs as it doesn't seem to taper.

As far as patterns, well... it shot pretty good when I took it out for the first time, trap shooting.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 12:26:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Check eBay and Remington's website. I saw an 18" riot barrel and a couple of 20" slug barrels on eBay. Remington sells spare parts over the web. Also check out Scattergun Technologies and Midway.

What kind of barrel do you have? If it's a vent rib you're definitely better off getting another barrel.

BTW you're looking for an improved cylinder bore if you plan to shoot buck and slugs. Cylinder has no constriction and therefore has a wider pattern.
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
THE 870 18.5" BARREL COMES NON-RIBBED AND NON-CHOKE TUBE, STRAIGHT CYL. BORE WHICH HANDLES SLUGS FINE BUT OFFERS NO SIGHTING PLAN FOR SLUGS. BUCK SHOT IS FINE BUT WILL NOT PATTERN WELL OVER A GREAT DISTANCE{40 YARDS}.
I THINK YOUR SECOND CHOICE WOULD BE WISER, 20" RIFLE SIGHTED BARREL EXCEPT GET IT WITH REM-CHOKE SYSTEM, THAT WAY SCREW IN A IMP. CYL. TUBE FOR RIFLED SLUGS, SCREW IN THE FULL CHOKE FOR BUCK SHOT,OR A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE FOR SHOOTING SABOTS.

MAG TUBE EXT. WILL WORK WITH EITHER BARREL, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE TABS INSIDE MAG TUBE.

RON KONTOWSKY
ACTIONS BY R.A.K.
CUSTOM GUNSMITHING
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I THINK YOUR SECOND CHOICE WOULD BE WISER, 20" RIFLE SIGHTED BARREL EXCEPT GET IT WITH REM-CHOKE SYSTEM, THAT WAY SCREW IN A IMP. CYL. TUBE FOR RIFLED SLUGS, SCREW IN THE FULL CHOKE FOR BUCK SHOT,OR A RIFLED CHOKE TUBE FOR SHOOTING SABOTS.

Can the Rem-Choke be retrofitted to an existing barrel?

MAG TUBE EXT. WILL WORK WITH EITHER BARREL, DO NOT FORGET TO REMOVE THE TABS INSIDE MAG TUBE.

Do the tabs exist in all newer 870 models, or is it just the lower end models? Also, how difficult is it to remove the mag tube tabs?
Link Posted: 9/27/2002 3:59:28 AM EDT
[#7]
If you want a serious combination deer and home defense shotgun, you might consider the route I took. I bought a 12 gauge Remington 870 Special Purpose Deer Gun that came with a 20 inch rifle sighted deer barrel with the Rem Choke system. I then ordered the 18" bead sighted improved cylinder barrel directly from Remington. This is the barrel I keep on the gun year around for home defense except during deer season. During deer season, I install the 20 inch rifle sighted barrel. I also sent the gun to Scattergun Technologies with the 18" barrel for installation of their front tritium sight and rear peep sight. I really only wanted the peep sight, not the front sight, but they don't give you the option of the peep sight only. One word of warning, I could not get the gun to sight in elevation wise (shot about 5 inches low at 25 yards with slugs) within the range of adjustment of the peep sight. Thus, the 18" barrel with their installed sight was useless for me for deer hunting. Fortunately, I didn't send them the 20" barrel and I was able to get the proper height front sight from Ashley and sight the gun in within the elevation adjustment range of the peep sight.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top