Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2002 6:12:26 PM EDT
Okay, with all this talk of .50 BMG bans floating about, I figure I might as well consider shelving saving up for that MP5, and get a .50 BMG now before I have to pay $10k for THAT as well.

Any suggestions on a good, cost effective .50 BMG?

Think like a poor college student.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.hessearms.com/HBR50%20Rifles.htm

winston wolf...

u are so MEAN!!!

lol...good joke though..

Spade, if ur looking for a good cost efficient 50.bmg, i have a few to recommend. THe first is the Serbu BFG.50, single shot bolt action. Base price starts around 2100. I've had the opportunity to shoot one before, and was quite impressed by not only accuracy, but also the lack of ass kicking shoulder snapping recoil usually found in high caliber rifles. =D
That said, the bfg50 is probably one of the cheaper bmg's you'll find anywhere. To get any cheaper would require that u buy an ar style .50bmg upper, and IMO, i just dont like it that way.
I've shot a barret m82a1, and the m95(the bolt mag fed one?). Those are sweet guns, but definitely not cheap. I'd like to buy one of those someday, but like u im  a poor bastardly college student.
I believe the ar-50 isnt priced too high, along with the LAR grizzly. All around the 2500 and less range. Good luck dude.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:26:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Winston, didnt you buy one of those? how is it?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Winston, didnt you buy one of those? how is it?

... Yes, MAHABALI I did. I'm working on the road this month so I haven't seen it. Shawn of CavArms has and so has Derek of AXEX.
In fact, Derek is de-horning, parkerizing and re-doing the stock.
Sight unseen I hear it "looks" bitchin'

Like Spade said, low budget. These are $1100 out the door with Picatinny rail, muzzle brake, thumbhole stock ready to shoot.

... I also have an Advanced Long Range Conversion, LLC for an AR15 lower on order too. If the Hesse pans out I'm selling the conversion kit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone have any experience with the Hessearms .50 BMG?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 5:18:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I can whole heartedly reccomend a Ferret50. I love my Ferret. Just something to consider......The Ferret50 is not considered a firearm. That means no yellow form. No NICS check. And it gets delivered straight to your door.

Winston-Wolf.....Dude given the reputation I have read so much about concearning Hesse, you must have balls of brass to order a .50 from them. Best of luck to you on it.

Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw an ad for an AR upper that was a true bolt (not one of those damn screw in jobs) for right at $1000.  If I could find one or remember who makes them I'd probably pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't have one, but the Ferret fifty IS a bolt action single shot.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Where were you planning on shooting it?  None of the ranges around here will allow .50, and it's not like I have a couple thousand acres to shoot on.  I wouldn't mind having one if I could actually use it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#11]
... I plan on putting my Hesse through a full and rigorous battery of field tests remotely before firing match grade ammo.

... Another reason I'm hesitant about a "conversion" is because, at least in principle, seems like it would hammer an AR15 lower to dust.

... I'll keep you informed
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 7:47:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/26/2002 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are looking for a .50 BMG for long range, accurate shooting than you may want to talk to Tac Ord in Meridian Idaho. They make several variants including suppressed versions. Tac ord is well known for there precision tactical rifles and there .50BMG rifles are unbelievably accurate well beyond 1000yards.
www.tac-ord.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top