Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2002 7:44:59 PM EDT
I just got a few USGI AR 30 rounders in about 95% condition.

I put new GF's in them and loaded them up with SA ammo.

I tried to cycle the mag manually (not shooting) and it seemed that the bold carrier wouldn't close without me using the FA.

think these mags will be problematic when I do go to shoot them?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
One way to find out <grin>

Nick
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your bolt catch is functioning properly. Cycle the bolt forward until it hangs up, then slap your bolt catch again. (This stuff was surplused for a reason) Look for dings and polish with a dremel or by hand.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are cyclying manually then OF COURSE you will need to use the forward assist.  Perfectly normal.

If you pull the bolt all the way back and let go I'm sure you will find the round enters the chamber with no problems - same when you finally shoot.

This is why you NEVER 'ride the charging handle' when loading the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Funny thing that happened to me that is similar to your issue, it could be that your SA ammo is very dirty. I had just put new springs ang GF's in all of my 30 round mags, and the kit came with a few hundred rounds of SA ammo. Before I shot the SA ammo I was using my XM193 and Q3131A with no problems. Then I was down to the SA ammo. I kept having feeding and chambering malfunctions. I thought it was the mags, but they worked with the other ammo all day. Then my buddy with his brand new Bushy dissipator tried the SA ammo in his AR and mags, same problems. Sometimes the rifle would fire a round and the second round would not get stripped from the mag, other times it wouldnt chamber without a little help from the FA. We both had a large number of FTF/FTC malfunctions, but only with the SA ammo. Although ammo is not a normal cause for these types of malfunctions, in my case there was no doubt as to the cause, and It could be the same problem you are having, I would try the same thing with different ammo, if the bolt locks without the FA then clean or sh*tcan the ammo.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 12:28:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, I hope this isn't considered hijacking the thread.  I have a home built AR that has had a similar problem.  It happens regardless of the magazine.

Occasionally if the bolt is on the bolt catch, and I just hit the release, the bolt will hang on the first round.  In other words, the round just sits in the top of the mag.  It doesn't matter what kind of magazine it is.  If I pull back on the charge handle and let it go, it always loads okay.

I assumed that I had a weak action spring, and I've got a replacement from Bushmaster on the way.  (My Bushmaster never had this problem.  I figured it was a case of a substandard cheap part.)

From what you've said above, it sounds like I should not be loading it this way.  What's the recommended practice?  Shouldn't the rifle load every time by pressing the bolt release?  Are you supposed to always pull the charge handle?

[:\]
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:43:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
From what you've said above, it sounds like I should not be loading it this way.  What's the recommended practice?  Shouldn't the rifle load every time by pressing the bolt release?  Are you supposed to always pull the charge handle?

Yes the rifle should load every time when you press the bolt catch.

I read the 'initial complaint' and it sounded like he was 'riding the charging handle'.  You should just pull it all the way back and let go - or you could press the bolt catch (if the bolt had been locked back).

I suspect M4_Aim@U was riding the charging handle to be safe - unfortunetly that doesn't work with the telecoping bolt of the AR.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all your help!

I really don't think I was riding the charging handle though. I was pretty sure I was letting it go every round after pulling it back. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get to the range and see if the recoil from the recoil will make the BC slam back hard enough to chamber every round.
Link Posted: 9/24/2002 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#8]
FOREST,

Were you by chance selling AR parts at the fun show this past weekend at the Howard County Fairgrounds?
Link Posted: 9/25/2002 7:56:43 AM EDT
[#9]
No I wasn't - Wish I could have gone.  It was my wife's birthday so we were away for part of the weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top