Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2002 9:32:02 PM EDT
Hi Guys,  I selling some of my mini-14 mags on an auction site and I recieved this e-mail.

"I'm a police officer living in California.  California law allows me to buy, sell, trade, furnish, import, etc., hi cap mags.  If I bid and win, will you sell to me?  Some dealer want a copy of an ID, others want a letter from the Agency.  Which will you want/need, if anything."

Im new to this so what should I do??  Can I get in trouble sending hi Cap mags to California or or it his problem?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/22/2002 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on the internet) but I think the burden of proof and most of the responsibility is on his part.

I don't think you are required to check the validity of his I.D. or letter but it would be wise to call his department to verify he is who he says he is.

I would ask for a copy of either of the identifying items he is willing to offer in addition to getting information as to which department he works for so you can call and verify his status as a law enforcment officer.

Now that I think about it, I think a letter on department letter head is all that is required.

Here is a link which may help, it has the firearms laws for the state of california:

caag.state.ca.us/firearms/
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#2]
hemi is prolly right, try to get a letterhead from his dept.

OR have him contact a gun dealer in kalif that has a "hi-cap Mag License", you can ship the mags to the dealer and he can pick them up.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 2:14:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Check otu the webpages on magazines and scroll to bottom to see Kali laws.

www.triplebreakproducts.com/magazines.htm

Follow what it says and you should be OK.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't do it. (1.) he might be lying and is not a police officer, in which case you will be involved in a felony crime. (2.) He can suffer like the rest of California's Non-LEO population: ie. Make do with 10 round mags.

Link Posted: 9/23/2002 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
This is my take on your situation.  LE types can purchase assualt weapons with authorization from their departments;however, those weapons will be stamped LE only.  I believe the same is for post ban hi capacity magazines.  I do not believe you can send preban magazines (meaning not marked for LE only) to california.  My reasoning I feel is valid;however, I am not an attorney.  But what I said above makes sense.  Do not send them to california.  I live here.  He can purchase at a favorable price post ban hi caps with his dept letterhead.  Why would he be allowed to purchase non marked preban mags when he cannot be allowed to purchased preban weapons?  Good Luck with your decision.
Ralph
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LE types can purchase assualt weapons with authorization from their departments;however, those weapons will be stamped LE only.  I believe the same is for post ban hi capacity magazines.

Hi Ralph,
Your beliefs are wrong.  See the URL I posted and then refer to the Kali law.  It tells you what to do and what is allowed.

An officer can get hi-cap mags in Kali PRE or POST ban.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Where in CA is he?
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LE types can purchase assualt weapons with authorization from their departments;however, those weapons will be stamped LE only.  I believe the same is for post ban hi capacity magazines.

Hi Ralph,
Your beliefs are wrong.  See the URL I posted and then refer to the Kali law.  It tells you what to do and what is allowed.

An officer can get hi-cap mags in Kali PRE or POST ban.

I believe this is correct. If he has a letter on department letterhead they are aware of his purchase.

I believe its intended use is suppose to be for on the job only.

The reason a LEO may pursue mags from a source other than a dealer would be due to lower cost.

In otherwords, mags from an auction may cost less than new mags from a dealer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hi Guys,  I selling some of my mini-14 mags on an auction site and I recieved this e-mail.

"I'm a police officer living in California.  California law allows me to buy, sell, trade, furnish, import, etc., hi cap mags.  If I bid and win, will you sell to me?  Some dealer want a copy of an ID, others want a letter from the Agency.  Which will you want/need, if anything."

Im new to this so what should I do??  Can I get in trouble sending hi Cap mags to California or or it his problem?

Thanks guys.

Your very first post here and you come with this bullshit.

There is a Legal Forum here and that Forum is the place for your question.
Link Posted: 9/23/2002 1:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the help guys.  I hope to post some more in the future (if 5subslr5 dosnt keep flaming me).  Catch you all later!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top