Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2002 8:05:02 PM EDT
So my daughter is learning about shotguns. Bang-OW, Bang-OW, Hey Dad, it's not working. I looked at the safety to make sure she hadn't accidently put it on, and something didn't look right. I realized the safety slider had broken off, leaving a screw and metal piece sitting sloppy in the receiver. A metal ball on top of a spring disappeared soon after. I know it was there when she started shooting because I made a point to check it.

I found a piece of it on the ground.

Four or five target loads, and kaput.

How common is this, and does Mossberg care?

Best place to get replacements?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:16:14 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do one of two things that both work.

You can field strip the gun,take out the safty block and shot all you want.

Or (the better of the two) you can call Mossy and have them send you a new one.
It's easy to put in,as you know there is just the one screw.
Don't lose the spring and lil. ball
with out it the safty will flip off and on as you shoot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
lil balls already gone...

Thanks. I guess a call to Mossberg is in order.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 11:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
On my 500 Moosberg the safety stopped working correctly. The ball and detent would not hold it in the "fire" position, it would kep slipping into the safe position.
I replaced it with the metal one from Brownells, that one does not come with replacement ball bearings.
Mossberg will NOT send you any parts for the safety, they want you to send in the reciver and they will do it for you.
I turned the safety catch 180 degrees and now it works fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:19:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Those plastic safeties break all the time. - Had it happen to me about 1980, and since I got in the firearms biz part time I have had 3 people have the same issue.

I am surprised that there has not been a recall.

I sent each gun back to have the safeties installed by Mossberg, I won't touch them due to liability, because they scare the hell out of me. To me, its not a question of will they fail so much as when they fail.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Like has been said, the Mossy safeties break on a regular basis. If you're mechaniclly inclined, get the replacement from Brownells and install it yourself. Otherwise ship the receiver to Mossberg and let them do it. When mine broke, I stuck a piece of alloy in the mill and made a new one, but that's not a viable solution for most people.

Don in Ohio
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
It's starting to sound like Brownells is the better option. But what do I do about the ball? Or is the design different so I don't need it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Brownells lists the parts you need in the factory parts section.
saftey detent ball 631-000-126 $4.03
Steel saftey 631-000-287 $15.49
I am sure you could also pick up a ball bearing at a hardware store if you found the right diameter by measuring the hole for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2002 12:40:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How common is this, and does Mossberg care?

It's very common. There are aftermarket steel parts available.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. I appreciate everyones help.
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 6:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a 590, with the plastic triggerguard and safety.  Know what?  I can't purchase the products from Mossberg and have them send it to me.  They want me to send them the shotgun, along with 80something bucks, and they'll do the work.  I don't mind the money, just don't like the hassle of having to arrange the return transfer, plus not being trusted to service my own weapon.
Bleh.

-Gloftoe
Link Posted: 10/1/2002 9:34:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Similar problem here (lost click plate and click ball for M500A safety), found that www.gunpartscorp.com sells replacement parts for Mossberg safeties.  Problem solved. (I just have to get off my lazy ass and actually order the damn things...)
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 12:55:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am surprised that there has not been a recall.

Actually there was, I can't remember when, but I found it, along with several hundred others while surfing the net one day.

The actual recall wasn't for it breaking, but for it firing when the safety was on!

I don't use mine...problem solved...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top