Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2002 4:26:38 AM EDT
I'm trying to decide if my next AR should be a civilian copy of the SPR rifle "the boys" are using in Afghanistan (see Pinco Pallos thread if yer not familar)

Questions:

1. Is .223 a legitimate sniper caliber?
2. Is suppression really a good idea on a sniper rifle?
3. Should it be a 20" or 24" barrel? (current SPR is 20" suppressed)

What other considerations should I be thinking of????

Try to talk me into, or out of doing this one.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 4:31:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that's over when do you think it will be finished??

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 4:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Questions:

1. Is .223 a legitimate sniper caliber?
2. Is suppression really a good idea on a sniper rifle?
3. Should it be a 20" or 24" barrel? (current SPR is 20" suppressed)

1. Yes, but more so for the military than police. A military sniper only has to kill the enemy. Doesnt really matter if he dies immediately, after 30 secs, or a week later. as long as he dies its all good. A LE sniper has to have instant kills every time. Anything less and a hostage/good guy dies.

2. I have no idea.

3. The SPR has an 18" Brl. a 24" Brl (I have one) makes for a damn heavy rifle. Whatever the length, make sure it has at least a 1:"9 twist, preferably a 1:8 or 1:7. The correct ammo for an SPR is 75 to 100Gn.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Go for it!  Here is one of mine which is still a work in progress:

This is built on a KAC SR15M4.  I intend to put a Krieger barrel on it eventually.  Right now it has a Harris 20" 1/8 SS barrel that I got from Tommy at GPSS.  It has a KAC 600m BUIS, a KAC flipup front sight, a KAC full length FF RAS, a KAC low profile gas block and a Harris bipod.  I did the barrel break in and sighting with Black Hills 75g.  My last 10 shots were with Hornady 75g BTHP at 100yards with iron sights and I had two tight groups of two within the bullseye.  The rest were flyers.  I have a Tasco Super Sniper that I am going to use with this rifle next time once I am fully recovered from my surgery.  I intend to build a preban SPR version on a Colt with The PRI FF tube and front sight.  All I need is the barrel and the front sight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...as long as he dies its all good.

CLASSIC line; I like it!
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:03:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not start with an AR10A4 ss as base?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2002 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
"Pretty" is not the main criteria for a sniper rifle.
Any number of rifles could be adequate as a "sniper" rifle, although I wouldn't choose the .223 for any range  beyond 300 meters.
The fieldcraft involved in sniper work is a lot more important than the "stick" used.
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 12:02:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah..What WofWof said! That's what I'm doing, I just hope by the time that I'm done, someone will make a FF rail for the AR-10.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top