Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2002 5:35:31 PM EDT
o.k., without going into irrelevant details, here's the sitrep.
where i work, we recently upgraded a piece of equipment, removing the old one.
the old machine used silicone spray lube for moving parts.  rather than let the stuff get trashed, i took it off their hands, with firearm use in mind, of course!!  (10,6oz areosol cans of silicone spray lubricant)

i was wondering, could i use this stuff on firearms?  would it gum up, or be detrimental in heat or cold? i just don't want to screw up my firarms .
it's pure silicone lube in aerosol cans.
(edited to add, i just sprayed it on an aluminum file cabinet, and it left a thin film, about the consistency of CLP, and it doesn't appear to have evapotated any after about 4 hours)

thanks, gun gurus......
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, I use commercial silicone spray for cleaning. The solvents/pressure in it blast away dirt and grit very nicely in actions and trigger groups and it leaves almost no residue. I use Hoppes to scrub in the barrel, and rinse with Silicone. When I am done I use Break free CLP as the final lube. For a dollar and a half a can, I can clean a rifle 2-3 times.

Link Posted: 9/15/2002 6:24:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been know to spray a little White Silicone Lock Spray on AR15 magazine springs before I re-assemble them.

I also use a Teflon Multi-Porpose lubricant called "Super Lube" (Availible at Lowe's.) made by Synco Chemical, Bohemia New York.

It comes in a small plastic silver colored tube that looks Like a tooth paste tube with a Green, Blue, Orange and Yellow Stripe just under the "Super Lube" wording on the label.

I place a very small dab on high friction areas on My AR, Glock 21, S&W 99/40, and Riotgun.

A little bit of this stuff goes a long, long way and I have been working on the same 3oz tube for six years and still have 90% of it left.

It's like a very light grease that does not pick up to much dust, dirt or gunk, yet stays on much longer than CLP.

Just a coating film is all you want of this stuff.

Link Posted: 9/16/2002 6:00:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I remember hearing years ago that silicone (like the silicone impregnated clothes) do not allow moisture to evaporate or pass through it thus trapping it on metal surfaces?  Always just used a little CLP on a cloth since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top