Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2002 7:52:25 PM EDT
My .223 catch measures just a hair under one and a half inches.  Does a .308 catch reach any further forward? If so, how long are they?

If not, can one be found that has a longer reach, w/o having it custom made?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the .308.

A Stoner allegedly has the same catch, with a depression to permit it to move far enough to release the mag.

Supposedly, the Armalite 7.62 mag release is longer and is a different part from the 5.56.

Which one do you have?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Which one do you have?

Its the standard .223 catch. Made by Olympic Arms. I want one about 1/4" to 1/2" longer.

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:07:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You might call Armalite and ask if the AR-10 release will fit.

I am pretty sure that the Stoner will be the same as the one you have now, except it costs 5 times as much.

Admittedly, I don't fully undertstand what your intent is.  Do you want the release button to stick out further, the part that engages the pad to release more freely, to engage/release the mag at a different point, orwhat?
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
What I want lengthened is The part of the mag catch that I'm measuring in the above PIC.

Here is a link to the description of my project
9mm AR w/SOCOM block
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Boom_Stick:

The Stoner will not add length, and I suspect that the Armalite AR-10 series won't either.

I would consider getting two mag catches and having them cut long in the center section you want lengthened and welded back together to the desired length.  The cost for that, plus milling out the slot, shouldn't be too bad.

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sorry that I can't be of more assistance.

You gave me another idea to work with.  I didn't think of putting two of them together.  

Feedback and ideas are what I'm looking for!  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top