Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2002 6:20:24 AM EDT
H&K fans - I am looking into getting another .45 ACP and am VERY interested in the H&K USP's.  Is the price of the tactical worth it over the standard full-sized model?  I am planning on using it for informal target shooting and home defense.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a USP45 (fullsize) and I love it! You can always buy a tactical barrel and put a match trigger in there later on if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:57:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both guns....for what you mentioned, just get the standard USP.  You'll be glad you did.  Awesome gun.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 9:00:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I would just get the Standard USP45 plus night sights.  maybe add the ambi safty to the gun, you go yourself one great general shooting/home defense handgun.

Tactical is great, but for the price your USP will do just the same plus money left over for more magazines and ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 10:19:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I think I am leaning toward the standard like everyone is recommending.  I handled one a while back; however, I have never fired one.  I appreciated the German engineering that went into it and really loved the way it fit my hand.  (I had a Sig P220.  It shot great but I DID NOT like the way the sharp corner of the frame bit into my shooting finger.  I don't understand why Sig did not smooth off the corners on the weapon.)

BTW - will all of the preban .45 H&K mags function in a standard USP?  What should I look to pay for a used pistol?  And is the lifetime warranty transferrable?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 3:28:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, let me be the lone voice of dissent then...  I'd say it is completely dependant on what types of sights you like.  If you like (or don't mind) the higher sights with no dots of the Tactical, then I'd seriously consider that.  I don't know about your area, but here the Tactical only goes for about $200 more than the standard.  I know, $200 is a good bit of scratch, but if you consider the cost of upgrading a standard to the match trigger and adjustable target sights alone, you have more than made up the $200.  In addition to this, you get the threaded barrel with the O-ring as well as a nice case and the extended floor plates for the mags.  In addition, the Tactical will likely hold its value more being a bit less common.

If you want to get night sights or don't like the higher, plain sights, then you may as well get the get standard as you will be "losing" one of the more costly mods that comes with the Tactical if you swap them out.

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Rocko, I was not aware that the sights on the tactical were standard irons.  I have always shot with pistols that had three-dot sights. That really makes my decision a whole lot easier.  Do you have anymore sage advice?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Allow me to vote for the Tactical. I own a Compact & have shot most, if not all, of their versions of .45s at one time or another. As accurate as any H&K is the Tactical is another notch above them. High praise indeed.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:38:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

BTW - will all of the preban .45 H&K mags function in a standard USP?  What should I look to pay for a used pistol?  And is the lifetime warranty transferrable?

Weeeeeelllllll.

Technically HK says there are NO preban .45 mags for the USP .45F.

But

According to the ATF, if it doesn't have "LEO/Military use only" stamped on it, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I love my USP 45.  It shoots as good as my Kimber Custom Classic.  The double action trigger is very smooth.  I think either way you go you won't be going wrong.    
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Mmmmmm, USPs.  Go with the standard. For plinking and the bedside table, the standard model is plenty.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 6:45:07 PM EDT
[#11]
One thing to consider - if you ever have to use it for self-defense, you are much less likely to get painted as a "dangerous gun-nut" if you shoot the plain vanilla version (which is still very nice).  

Also, I don't know that I would want to have a match trigger in a gun I use for self-defense. It would be too easy to pull a match trigger in a high-stress situation.

BTW, I have a full size HK USP in .40 S+W that I have put many thousands of rounds through.  In that time, I've had one failure to feed - which was my fault because the magazine wasn't pushed in all the way.  USP are great weapons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top