Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2002 6:23:10 PM EDT
I currently have a Ruger bolt action 30-06.  I am thinking of upgrading, and like the idea of having a "more current military round" 308.  I know that the performance of the 30-06 and the 308 are identical.  Given the more accuracy of the shorter/fatter case of the 308 and all of the surplus ammo out there.

How would the LTR or the PSS do for still hunting deer? How does the 20 inch vs. the 26 inch barrel stack up?

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/11/2002 7:16:55 PM EDT
[#1]
BadRed let me put my situation like this... When I packed my family out on the morning of 9-11, the LTR was the ONLY rifle I packed.  A 12 gauge and a couple pistols, one 9mm and one .357 and that was it for firepower.  For food and defense nothing in my arsenal matches what the LTR can do and nothing matches its light package.  If I gotta hump with a rifle the LTR's my choice.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 4:08:35 AM EDT
[#2]
The key word is "light"....that is 20" vs 26".

If I have to go on an all day hunting trip, I prefer to carry a "light" rifle. As for shooting accuracy...no difference.

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll be using my LTR this season as well, but really only because it is really the only suitable one I own for hunting at this time.  While "LTR" does stand for "Light Tactical Rifle", the "Light" is in comparison to your average tactical rifle.  IMHO, a heavy barrel is not really needed for a deer rifle.  The extra bit of general accuracy that a stiffer barrel is wont to provide is probably of such a slight degree as to be unecessary.  An extra 1/4-1/2" MOA accuracy isn't going to make much of a difference here - you're looking for a kill shot here, not punching dime sized holes in paper.  It's also not like you're going to be shooting a bunch of shots in short amount of time either, so another benefit of an HB, which is less likely to string your shots as the barrel warms up, is wasted as well.  If you have a choice and can get an extra "hunting only" rifle, I think you'll likely be better served using a rifle with a 20-22" sporter weight barrel.  It will be accurate enough in 99% of the situatations you'll be in and lighter to boot.

If you happen to have an LTR already, or really want a "tactical" rifle that could pull double duty for an occasional hunting trip, then the LTR should work out OK.  Certainly better than lugging a PSS around with you.

Rocko
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 6:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Rocko is right on. I too have put a bit of thought into a .308 deer rifle, as I have a VSSF and a M1A in .308. I have come to the conclusion that the Remington Model 7 in .308 would be very handy for tree stands.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 12:59:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Hello,
i used a LTR (308) last year for deer season .
my rifles weighs 11 pounds loaded as you see it here . i hunted timber,crp fields and crop beans and corn ,  this buck was bedded in a wheat field after he got up he was gettin it i got him on the third leap dropped him in his tracks at about 75 yds , i also got a doe about 225 yds off hand one shot through the lungs . i used Win Black Talons 180 grn , it shot them right at a inch @100 yds . i didnt think the weight of the rifle was too bad to carry around my 270 that i use most of the time weighs in at 9 lbs. loaded .

TS2

Link Posted: 9/12/2002 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my PSS LTR in .308, I just sighted it in last week and it shoots like a laser.. I posted a three shot group in the "Armory" section of the board.. here's a link.. my post is towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=5&t=25&page=3

This rifle has little if any recoil, I can shoot it all day without a flinch and it rides sweet over my shoulder on loadouts.  I cant wait to go boar hunting later this month :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top