Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2002 9:04:17 PM EDT
While at the OKC gun show sunday bought some M1 clips,milled around a bit.    An older man about sixty or so had a gun he was toting around with a card-board sign saying Pre-ban Bushmaster.

Well it didn't look like anything I have ever seen in any of my gun books so I  asked to see it.     It  had a wooden forearm grip,and wooden stock.   But had a cocking bolt on top like a tommy gun, had two pin take down.

And a rotating lock bolt,but when I pulled the bolt back it looked like it had a rod driven gas system like an ak or mac90.

It said Bushmaster on it,and he said it was one of the first bushmasters made in 1974,and that there were only 1600 of them made!

I asked him what he wanted for it,and he was very adamant about wanting to trade it for a newer bushy, nothing less.   Now I don't know if I missed on the very best trade of my young life,or just barely missed on trading a really dependable heavy barreled bushy for one that maybe was the Edsil of all times!

It was forged upper as the bushmaster was cut into the metal not raised,but it didn't say where it was made(as I recall).

Non of the gun traders that he talked to would even offer a price or a trade,that seamed to me a good tip-off that if It were something good they should have jumped on it!

Has anybody else seen this strange bushy at a gun show(I know I didn't post a picture wish I had one).    I know browning makes a bushmaster,so I thought this might be anybody knock off just using bushmaster as a model and not the gun!

Any thoughts out there,I know its a little vague as I don't have a picture.

Bob  
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#1]

This is a bad picture, but did it look anything like this?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe either a Bushmaster Assault Rifle or ARM pistol???

It sounds like the "Assault Rifle" some also had folding stocks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
pictures.auctionarms.com/June/Bushmaster%20AR.jpg

This is a bad picture, but did it look anything like this?

Yes Thats it!

Bob  Did I fuck up bad by not tradeing my bushy?

Bob  {8D]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#4]
www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3176973

no you didnt fuck up bad, this one is $695 on auction arms, Ive seen several for sale at around that price.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:50:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?ItemNum=3176973

no you didnt fuck up bad, this one is $695 on auction arms, Ive seen several for sale at around that price.

Whee thank you MAHABALI  I thought it was too good too be true,plus the only other rifle I saw I might have wanted was a M1 carbine(Saginaw) but the old guy(I'm 57 so just to give you an idea of what I call old) wouldn't budge said he had just bought it,and did I have one?

Well I told him yes but it was a Winchester receiver,with an underwood barrel just a part gun,he then asked me Do you want to sell it?

So I quess M1 carbines must be a sought after Item now.

Thanks again as I can't tell you the many guns I have purchased because I thought they were the cats meow,but I thought bob why would you want to trade a proven gun(after forty years of improvements) for one with apparent problems!

Thanks Again    Bob      
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#6]
That is what the Connecticut Assault Weapons Law refers to as a "Bushmaster Auto Rifle."
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I passed on a folding-stock version at a local gun shop for $525 a while back.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:43:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
www.ar15.com/members/albums/Troy%2FBushmaster%2520Assault%2520Rifle%252001%2Ejpg
Bushmaster Assault Rifle

These were made before the AR15 patent expired (i.e., when only Colt could make AR15s).

-Troy

Looks somewhat like a preban AR180.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#10]
A buddy of mine has one of these. IMO it's a piece of junk. No offense to Bushmaster. They make a fine product nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:56:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2002 1:49:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I passed on a folding-stock version at a local gun shop for $525 a while back.

$525! They could not give these away years ago, I saw them for sale for less than $100 brand new. I picked one up in 84 for $70 used off a friend, It jammed constantly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top