Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2002 3:30:30 PM EDT
Specifically in the Los Angeles area? My local shop charges $50 [:\]
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#1]
go to gunbroker.com and they have a FFL finder I believe. if not go to gunfinder.net I think they have one too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#2]
In the immediate area there is:

Turners outdoorsman in Redondo Beach

Red Star military Museum and Sales in Culver City

and Martin Redding across the street, both are on Washington Blvd.

There are a few smaller shops heading east toward the City of Industry.

There is a place in the city of Bell (forget the name).

There is also a uniform shop in Long Beach that is an FFL (I also forget their name).
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Try insightrange.com/, they did one for me for $35, for a private party transfer. The seller was a buddy of theirs, so maybe they gave me a better price, but they're nice folks, so it's worth a call.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#4]
"Bain and Davis" in San Gabriel on Valley Blvd.

These guys are cool, and specilize in private sale transfers as well as gunsmithing. They don't charge more than the normal fee. A lot of retail stores like Turners put private party transfers at the bottom of the barrel. You gotta wait for "real" customers to clear out first, then if they feel like it, they'll get around to doing your transfer.

Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:04:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Big 5 sporting goods is $10 bucks in S.D. + DOJ fees.  I don't know if you guys have Big 5 in LA, but worth looking into.
Link Posted: 9/7/2002 1:37:36 AM EDT
[#6]
the uniform shop in long beach i is called "long beach uniform" is a police uniform supply, i believe they no longer deal in guns.

KPG guns in anaheim on euclid blvd (i think) does transfers for $30 = $20 state fees, $10 there fees
they also do MANY transfers at the costa mesa gun show.
try and deal with guy named Wes (cool guy), dealing with the older lady Kay (stubborn and bitchy) can be difficult unless she gets to know you
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:20:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Check out Red Star Military on Washington Blvd. in Culver City. Ask for Ian Shein or Loren. They charge the lowest of ANY store in the area and give you NO hassle about processing the PPT. They like to do the private transfers because it brings people into the store to buy other things. They only charge the state maximum for the PPT ($25 ?), and they don't tack on any erroneous fees.

You will get a cold shoulder at most shops in the CA. SB-15 created a lousy situation for dealers preventing them from selling most of the used guns that would come into the store. I've been in stores numerous times where the squeaky little guy afraid of his anti-gun wife or the old widow selling her husband's collection, came in to "sell their guns" to the gun dealer. Dozens of times, that "old unwanted gun" ended up being something like a mint Colt 1911-A1, 1950's Colt National Match, or perfect condition early Browning High power with several Hi-cap mags. Or the wimpy guy buys an H&K P9S back in the '80's, never shoots it and wants to sell it for $300.00, because hey, like a car, it has depreciated? (the H&K P9S is a real example).

Of course dealers will still buy these and sell on-line or at shows, but it kills part of the pure profit and the lesser deals where they would have still made $100 - $200 on a used Colt Python bought for $550 and sold for $650 - $700 for fast turn around are now few and far between. Used guns and private transfers have been cut by 50% in CA for fear that if you sell it, you may never find one again. Postings for handguns in CA on Gunsamerica have become very limited. If it is something special, prices are escalated beyond reason (because of the idea you may never find that SIG P210 for sale again). Much of the used stuff out there now is junk or well-worn. In some cases, dealers couldn't give it away. And if it is rare, people are asking for the moon.

Often a dealers only recourse is to sell new "tupperware" guns and draw bigger commission from wholesalers and Manufacturers.

However, there are few exceptions. Red Star Military likes to do the private transfers because it brings people into the store to buy other things. They only charge the state maximum for the PPT, and they don't tack n any erroneous fees. 11018 Washington Blvd. Ask for Ian or Loren. Plus it is a very interesting store selling all kinds of items having to do with shooting and militaria. They have some real nice stuff and one of the few stores that caters military rifles and cowboy action too.

Just across the street is Martin B. Retting, another gun store, however they do not accept much by consignment anymore and seem to have the disdain mentioned earlier (like Turner's) for doing PPT's. I think they charge some additonal fees too, not sure on that. In any case, they are right across the street from Red Star. Honestly, dealers don't make any money on the transfer, so if you do a PPT, it's always a nice gesture to buy a couple of boxes of ammo or some nifty new gadget he's got in the store.

Your best bet is Red Star.

Link Posted: 9/14/2002 2:45:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone, I decided on Redstar
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#9]
dealers dont make money on transfers? i dont agree with that

they may not make a ton of money that they would by selling a gun, and it doesnt appear that there is a lot of work involved in doing transfers, mostly its just storing the gun and doing paperwork.

KPG guns as i mentioned above does transfers for $30, $10 is there profit, 20bux to the state. KPG will do 60-70 transfers at a gun show, totaling $600-700 in 2 days on paperwork ALONE.
if the average time for a transfer is 30 min, $10 for 30 min work aint bad, 20bux an hour is more than some people make busting there back.
i suspect that KPGs biggest profit comes from transfers alone, with gun sales 2nd. JMO
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dealers dont make money on transfers? i dont agree with that

they may not make a ton of money that they would by selling a gun, and it doesnt appear that there is a lot of work involved in doing transfers, mostly its just storing the gun and doing paperwork.

KPG guns as i mentioned above does transfers for $30, $10 is there profit, 20bux to the state. KPG will do 60-70 transfers at a gun show, totaling $600-700 in 2 days on paperwork ALONE.
if the average time for a transfer is 30 min, $10 for 30 min work aint bad, 20bux an hour is more than some people make busting there back.
i suspect that KPGs biggest profit comes from transfers alone, with gun sales 2nd. JMO

I disagree. Sure that is a lot of money for a person getting paid by the hour, but consider the expenses of running a gun retail store, there is employee salaries, taxes of all kinds, utilities, exorbitant insurance, a whole $hit load of paperwork, not to mention money left over for the owner, last I check those folks have expenses to pay too, house, kids, car etc.
Turners(www.turners.com is not a 100% gun store. They sell fishing equipment which makes up for some of the lost sales because of SB15/SB23. Conisder that we lost B&B Gun, N. Hollywood, that should be heads of up for the rest of us in the future. IHMO - My guess is that things are going to get a lot worse before they get better(probably not in my lifetime). They won't ban your gun, they will drive out of business places where you buy them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Check out Red Star Military on Washington Blvd. in Culver City. Ask for Ian Shein or Loren. They charge the lowest of ANY store in the area and give you NO hassle about processing the PPT. They like to do the private transfers because it brings people into the store to buy other things. They only charge the state maximum for the PPT ($25 ?), and they don't tack on any erroneous fees.

You will get a cold shoulder at most shops in the CA. SB-15 created a lousy situation for dealers preventing them from selling most of the used guns that would come into the store. I've been in stores numerous times where the squeaky little guy afraid of his anti-gun wife or the old widow selling her husband's collection, came in to "sell their guns" to the gun dealer. Dozens of times, that "old unwanted gun" ended up being something like a mint Colt 1911-A1, 1950's Colt National Match, or perfect condition early Browning High power with several Hi-cap mags. Or the wimpy guy buys an H&K P9S back in the '80's, never shoots it and wants to sell it for $300.00, because hey, like a car, it has depreciated? (the H&K P9S is a real example).

Of course dealers will still buy these and sell on-line or at shows, but it kills part of the pure profit and the lesser deals where they would have still made $100 - $200 on a used Colt Python bought for $550 and sold for $650 - $700 for fast turn around are now few and far between. Used guns and private transfers have been cut by 50% in CA for fear that if you sell it, you may never find one again. Postings for handguns in CA on Gunsamerica have become very limited. If it is something special, prices are escalated beyond reason (because of the idea you may never find that SIG P210 for sale again). Much of the used stuff out there now is junk or well-worn. In some cases, dealers couldn't give it away. And if it is rare, people are asking for the moon.

Often a dealers only recourse is to sell new "tupperware" guns and draw bigger commission from wholesalers and Manufacturers.

However, there are few exceptions. Red Star Military likes to do the private transfers because it brings people into the store to buy other things. They only charge the state maximum for the PPT, and they don't tack n any erroneous fees. 11018 Washington Blvd. Ask for Ian or Loren. Plus it is a very interesting store selling all kinds of items having to do with shooting and militaria. They have some real nice stuff and one of the few stores that caters military rifles and cowboy action too.

Just across the street is Martin B. Retting, another gun store, however they do not accept much by consignment anymore and seem to have the disdain mentioned earlier (like Turner's) for doing PPT's. I think they charge some additonal fees too, not sure on that. In any case, they are right across the street from Red Star. Honestly, dealers don't make any money on the transfer, so if you do a PPT, it's always a nice gesture to buy a couple of boxes of ammo or some nifty new gadget he's got in the store.

Your best bet is Red Star.

This has nothing to do with the topic but how come Redstar charge so much for the FAB10?  L&G Weaponry sells it significantly less.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2002 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
I just bought a glock 26 from Costa Arms NIB shipped for $465.  My local dealer says they pay $490 for it.  Before profit.  Great deal.  Anyways, to the topic on hand.  I found a place in Fresno that charged me $30.  They said that the fee from DOJ use to be $15, then went up to $20 and soon afterwards went to $25.  So, if I am charged $30, the store makes $5,  Valley Rod and Gun in Fresno did me a big favor.  DOJ is hurting all California gun lovers.  Thank you Jeff at Valley Rod and Gun.  They mentioned to me that soon, gun transfers will become more expensive.  I write this to let you know that $25 is the fee paid to DOJ.  Good luck all.  Ralph
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top