Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2002 8:09:53 PM EDT
I'm thinking of buying a Gemtech(think thats what they're called) supressed .22 upper for a Ruger MKII.  How quiet are these with subsonic ammo or even some of the primer-only .22 loads?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Very. With CB Longs, the loudest noises are the click of the lock, and the round impacting..
The subsonics make a bit more noise..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
those are SWEET. you will never regret it. so quiet with subsonic loads. you wont need to bother with primer loads. auigla SSS might be intresting.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:33:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the pistol use a lighter recoil spring? or does the load have enough "oomph" to eject the shell?

I don't think silencers are even legal in this MInnesoviet Union =(
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 12:40:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a buckmark and a bottle of Coke, does that count?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 1:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had the Walther/Outback set-up for 3 months now, Extremely light weight and Very quiet.
I couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 9/2/2002 1:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Pardon my ignorance, but I imagine there are all sorts of rules and regs regarding silencers/suppressors?

I mean, its not like a regular fellow such as myself could go out and get one these nifty little toys, right?
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 1:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pardon my ignorance, but I imagine there are all sorts of rules and regs regarding silencers/suppressors?

I mean, its not like a regular fellow such as myself could go out and get one these nifty little toys, right?

if your state allow nfa weapons yes u can. just involves paperwork and a lot of time waiting.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 2:05:48 AM EDT
[#9]
So what happens if I buy one in Wisconsin (I think they are allowed there) After I get married? But later we have plans to move to Texas....

Do I just pack it and any other nifty "toys" I may have and go?  I mean if I save up and buy myself an M16, can I take it adn all my cans and whatnot and just stick them into my mvoing Van, once I own it all is ok? o rdo I have to get one of those nasty unconstitutional permits?

Damn that walther rig is pretty slick....  I was thinking one of the Ruger suppressed pistols that are integrally suppressed.... might go this route instead  
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Saw the set up (Walthers/Gemtech) that Denny
pictured above at Knob Creek last spring and
it is every bit as sweet as he says it is.
Probably sweeter.
If I hadn't been chasing some guy with a mint
Yugo AK47, I would have bought one and waited
6 months to get.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So what happens if I buy one in Wisconsin (I think they are allowed there) After I get married? But later we have plans to move to Texas....

Do I just pack it and any other nifty "toys" I may have and go?  I mean if I save up and buy myself an M16, can I take it adn all my cans and whatnot and just stick them into my mvoing Van, once I own it all is ok? o rdo I have to get one of those nasty unconstitutional permits?

Damn that walther rig is pretty slick....  I was thinking one of the Ruger suppressed pistols that are integrally suppressed.... might go this route instead  

Silencersa are allowed in WI...You have to pay the $200 NFA tax if you buy one. If you move to another state (one that allows NFA stuff) you have to let the feds know that you are moving your NFA items with you, and through what states and where you are moving to. I'm not sure what form it is that you have to fill out, but I know there is a form.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally posted by DevilsAdvocate
If you move to another state (one that allows NFA stuff) you have to let the feds know that you are moving your NFA items with you, and through what states and where you are moving to. I'm not sure what form it is that you have to fill out, but I know there is a form.

Form 5320.20
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:33:35 AM EDT
[#13]
They are VERY quiet ! be careful with the aguila SSS as it will go completely thru a deers head...it has a lot of energy !
Their subsonic HP is better for pests like racoons or feral cats .
If you live in a class 3 legal state you can get a supressor for $$ plus $ 200 on transfer tax. I recommend you just but the can threaded 1/2x28 and thread the barrels of your favorite 22 pistols and rifles to allow portability and save multiple $ 200 taxes.
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
They are VERY quiet ! be careful with the aguila SSS as it will go completely thru a deers head...it has a lot of energy !
Their subsonic HP is better for pests like racoons or feral cats .
If you live in a class 3 legal state you can get a supressor for $$ plus $ 200 on transfer tax. I recommend you just but the can threaded 1/2x28 and thread the barrels of your favorite 22 pistols and rifles to allow portability and save multiple $ 200 taxes.

Makes sense. I think Idaho is a Class 3 state. Any of you Idahoans around that can answer that question?

Bill
Link Posted: 9/2/2002 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#15]
... Damn you guys all to Hell

... How am I ever to save for retirement after posting great summaries and pictures regarding the Walther/Outback set-up.

... Arghhhhhhhhhhhh, now I NEED one!

... Actually thanks. Denny, I'll be in contact soon.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 6:25:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Stupid question - is that the short barrel or the long barrel on the P22/Outback combo? And another stupid question - is Texas a class 3 state? i gotta have one!

Jake
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Stupid question - is that the short barrel or the long barrel on the P22/Outback combo? And another stupid question - is Texas a class 3 state? i gotta have one!

Jake

thier is a short and long version of the p22. the long has a longer barrel with big profile compensator/barrelweight type thing. you gain accuracy but lose the cool mini p99 looks. i dont know how the supressor fits into this. i THINK texas is C3. not sure tohugh.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 7:56:55 PM EDT
[#18]
thanks. i answered both of my questions about 2 seconds after i posted. next time ill not be so lazy. but does anyone in texas know how the approval process works exactly? i fill out the form, give em $200, and send it to the ATF? and then they send it back? is it that simple?

jake
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, it's ALMOST that simple.

First you have to find a suppressor for sale and buy it. Then the seller fills out his part of the Form 4 for registering it. Then he gives the Form 4 to you and you fill out your part, and then you take it to your Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your jurisdiction, and beg him to sign it. Once he signs, you get a coupla passport photos and have your fingerprints taken. Now send the completed, signed Form 4 (in duplicate) plus the two photos and two sets of fingerprint cards and $200 to BATF, and start waiting. Two months to two years later, your dealer will get the Form 4 back from BATF and you can pick it (and the suppressor) up. So it's simple ... if you're patient.
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#21]
crap...patient im NOT! but i dont have any funds for it right now anyway. so let me get it straight, does the P22 have a threaded barrel or not? is that the purpose of the coupler that dennysguns was talking about? and finally, are there any dallas guys here that have had a form 4 signed by the appropriate law enforcement officer? id like to know who to go to that will sign it without much hassle.

jake
Link Posted: 9/3/2002 10:57:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Jake, the P22 doesn't have -- or need -- a threaded barrel. Instead, the barrels are interchangable, by removing a nut that  goes on the front of the frame and locks in the barrel. Gemtech (and others) make a version of that "barrel nut" that is threaded and allows you to attach the suppressor.

I can't help with the Dallas CLEO info, but if the police chief won't sign, there are a bunch of other officials whose signatures are accepted by BATF -- judges, prosecutors, etc. If all else fails, you can always incorporate and have the corporation buy it for ya .... it's really not that expensive.

Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top