Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2002 1:13:43 PM EDT
Why is it that most movies and video games the beretta seems to be the most glamourized handgun of them all.

I personally think their ugly as sin exposed barrel and all.

Everywhere I turn I see beretta's!
Every now and then I see a DE.

Anyone care to elaberate?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have to ask......
Beretta's look to have been carved out by Michelangelo himself.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Beretta handguns will shoot movie blanks without any problems compared to other handguns. Glocks will do the same if you notice alot of them also. I own both weapons and they function perfectly with any thing I feed them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that Die Hard, along with a few other movies, made it very popular among the film industry.  

Just like Arnold S. made the Desert Eagle popular since it was the only pistol that his large hands wouldn't make look like a pea shooter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Go HERE:
www.berettaforum.net/

All your Beretta questions will be answered...
especially the one about the 'stupid looking' open top slide.
(...it's a design feature, not there for looks...)

The U.S. Armed Forces chose Beretta for a reason, and it wasn't because the Sig Sauer's are uglier, which they are...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Other shooters, usually female , have commented to me that my Beretta Compact L Type M is 'sexy'... Right before they ask to shoot it! The Beretta design seems to have a great deal of eye appeal for some folks.  It's no 1911, but the Beretta isn't Glock butt-ugly either...

<watches as the Glock rabid climb out from under their rocks...>

Now, when I think of sexy and handguns, a Royal Blue 6" Colt Python or a 1911 come to mind...
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:05:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Lethal weapon did for the 92, as dirty harry did for the 29.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Who says Glocks are ugly? [>Q]  I think a Glock is the meanest and baddest looking handgun out there!!!! (with the exception of the Titanium Gold finish .50 Desert Eagle...nugh said)
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are that concerned about looks when it comes to a firearm then I feel for you.  I can't help but feel though this is just one of those threads that's trying to start an argument for the sake of argument.  I for one think that the Beretta, Glock, Sig, & H&K are all beautiful handguns.  Maybe that my being an engineer and my belief that form follows function has something to do with it. I don't know.  To each his own I guess.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:09:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The U.S. Armed Forces chose Beretta for a reason,

Yes & that reason was the US contract for bases in Italy was up for renewal. We bought the Beretta's & we then signed the renewal contract.

No slam on Beretta, I own a 92FS & a 686 O&U.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I personally think their ugly as sin exposed barrel and all.

I badmouthed them for years & then bought a used 92FS & had a trigger job done on it. Now the thing shoots like a wet dream. Of course it is only a 9mm.  >gg<
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I was issued a beretta 92 for 2 years.  My whole unit rusted the barrels and they all had to be replaced.  Eventually right before I left every one was issued an m-4 but not before all of the pistols had to be turned in for excessive rust. The guys that were dual armed SAW - M9 (don't know why because we had to carry our own spare barrel) were the best condition because we would put it in a zip lock bag in our but pack and put an air soft gun in the holster.  No one knew the difference.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:05:50 AM EDT
[#12]
San Bernardino County Sheriff uses Glocks to shoot blanks and "simunition" ammo.  They also use Beretta's.  The Beretta's handle way better with simunitions and blanks than any Glock will ever do....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:29:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder . . .

I don't care about the appearance so much as performance, defined by functionality and accuracy.  I like the looks of the Beretta, and the open top slide is functional from the standpoint of clearing jams or shaking out sand, etc.  I owned one once but the sights were not at all regulated and Beretta USA wanted $45 to regulate them, on a NEW 92FS.  That got me PO'd so I peddled it and the 6 hi-cap mags right after the '94 hi-cap ban went into effect, for about $110 more than I paid for the kit.  I fully admit that mine was a one-of-a-kind, and in no way tar all 92s with the same brush.

That said, the .380 and .22 Berettas with the tilting barrel will NEVER have a spot in my safe.  That freakin' pivot screw out there on the end of the barrel . . . <gag>

To my beholding eyes, one of the funkiest looking handguns is the CZ-52.  It seems out-of-proportion with the grip being so fore-and-aft wide to accomodate the wide mag and long length of the 7.62x25 cartridge, and the bizzare sculpting of the metal of the slide.  I like to shoot them, though!  Contrast the CZ-52 with the Tokarev TT33, same cartridge, and the puny-ass little grip it has.  Go figure.

IMO, good-looking pistols are the BHP, the CZ75, and the 1911 standard and commander models (NOT the much-abbreviated "UltraProMicroCompactCarry" abortions that I find hard to hold and have no sight radius to speak of, but I suppose that one can always hold the muzzle against the assailant . . .).

And I'd go Amish before owning a Pontiac Aztec or Chevy Avalanche, but that's another story.

JMO,

Noah
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 4:48:14 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought a 92F for a couple reasons..

1. Cheap (leo trade in)
2. parts (lots of parts to be found, including GI)
3. Mags (hicaps, again, GI)

It is a nice hicap 9mm, shoots great too.

Ive also got an HK USP45 which is very nice.

But my all time favorite always seems to come around to the 1911.  I love the feel and I love the way it handles.  That and it doesnt shot no "sissy" round either
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#15]
I love the look of the 9000's and eagerly await some more experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:12:02 AM EDT
[#16]
After years of searching, I finally turned up a new Beretta 87 (not Target) and am having high profile adjustable tritium sights installed as well as having the barrel threaded for my .22 suppressor.  I'm so anxious to get the thing back from the 'smith I can hardly sleep at night!
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:21:35 AM EDT
[#17]
A Beretta 92 "looks" like a gun. Glocks look like squirt guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:43:53 AM EDT
[#18]
As for look and photogenic on screen, the Beretta is far the best looking gun of the bunch. The 1911 is also a photogenic looking gun too but has been considered "old fashion" by Hollywood. That's why we saw so many Beretta on screen, Die Hard and Ronin movies are good example (plus lots of Chow Yun Phat Hong Kong movies, and specially "Hongkong 2000").

As far as gun, only two hand guns passed the rigorous test and evaluation by the US Army.  They are the Beretta 92FS and the Sig P226. The US Armed Force selected the Beretta due to that they are cheaper than the Sig.....More guns for Uncle Sam bucks.

Again, the Beretta came out winner during the selection of side arm for the French GIGN (Groupe d'Intervention Gendarmerie Nationale) to replace their aging Manurhin MR-73 44 Magnum Revolver. www.gign-fr.com

You can't go wrong with a winner here, a gun selected by two potent customers, and most important of all, by Hollywood. He! He! He!  
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The French are potent customers?  I suspect the 44 Mags were breaking their sissy little wrists, so they had no choice but to drop to the 9mm.

Also, I think Hollywood likes to use the Beretta because you always see the Hong Kong action stars throwing their weapons around when they run out of ammo, and NOBODY would think of tossing away a SIG.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:14:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Please understand that I too beleive in functionality over looks when it comes to firearms, I just started to notice a few months ago in the entertainment world, the berretta is everywhere!!

Please excuse my ignorance.

I will own one some day....
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Berettas are quite practical pistols because they feed anything, are quite accurate, and are built very well.

Desert Eagles are NOT practical at all.  They look bad.  That is all.  I am not saying that a .357 MAGNUM, .44 Mag, or .50 SuperMag are not mean calibers, but the design is not practical.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Again, the Beretta came out winner during the selection of side arm for the French GIGN (Groupe d'Intervention Gendarmerie Nationale) to replace their aging Manurhin MR-73 44 Magnum Revolver. www.gign-fr.com

The French selected the Beretta?

The kiss of death!  I better sell mine before it spontaneously falls apart and demills itself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top