Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2002 8:52:33 AM EDT

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow thats nice. Can you tell us how you made it. BTW I am not really good with the US gun law but by put on a folding stock on that rifle isnt that ileagle on a post ban rifle ?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#2]
SMGLee, you sir are disgusting. I find those pics offensive and loathe there very existance.
(Mainly because you have it and I dont!)

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#3]
SigBlueStar,
His stock doesnt actually fold, but you can buy it and make it fold with a small kit since you are in Canada.

The entire conversion from magwell to stock is all Special Weapons...

The front rail grip is made by KAC (Knights Armament Corporation).

The Barrel is done by LARRYG.

Unfortunetly the stock increases the length between you and the optics making the standard HK sights useless, also making a proper G36 clone IMPOSSIBLE in the usefull sence. That is also a reason for the optics SMGLee has chosen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
SMGLee, you sir are disgusting. I find those pics offensive and loathe there very existance.

Thank you very much. :)

SIGBluestar,

The stock is made not to fold, but I hear the Canadian version is made to fold. Last I heard some one is importing them from Top Notch.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#5]
HK SL8-1 project Completed ?

shouldnt it have a trigger and some other stuff if it's complete

Looks pretty damm nice. You should be proud once you get the trigger
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Dammit I could kick myself for getting rid of two of the few weapons I've ever sold...an sl8-1 and a USC .45......Now all these cool kits come out to eliminate the ridiculous PCNESS!!! ARRRGH.....
Anyway,whats the total cost of the mods without the cost of the sl8???
I Like it immensely!!!!!Looks good.
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:49:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn me!  I did not notice the lack of trigger!  It looks good now and will operate even better with that one small addition....
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I did not have time to transfer the trigger parts into the new stock yet.

The over all parts cost was about 1500.00 dollars plus another 1500.00 on the rifle.

The SW kits alone cost me about 585.00 on both items.

Thank you guys for the compliments.  maybe one day I can make the stock fold with the Aw ban sunsetting or slip into a little lag time between the next law comes into effect.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#9]
What's the total cost involved? This looks like a new project for me.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info. I am thinking about buy a SL-8 but I don't have $$$$ but I do it would certainly have a folding stock,bayonet and a m203 on it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
BlueStar, you would be better off buying a BlackSpecial then this.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:50:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn Chen ,that is sweet. bring it to the October SECRET so i can see it up close and personal, and maybe get a little trigger time.
Paul
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 11:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you very much. :)

SIGBluestar,

The stock is made not to fold, but I hear the Canadian version is made to fold. Last I heard some one is importing them from Top Notch.

top notch is special weapons.

all i can say is that you are lucky to even have recieved the stuff you ordered from toady. he is the biggest dumb a$$ in the firearm industry and reknowned for his abillity to rip everyone off and be uninvited to major gun functions before they are even planned. as everyone knows, the stock kits were designed by master toady, but in his ever growing engineering ineptitude were made too long. doing so negated the HK factory sightes making optics manditory(as i'm sure you've found out).

if you ask me, i'd feel uncomfortable even owning one of his products as one day it is surely going to fail. you paid toady $1500, you must have huge balls cause that is bravery at it's finest.

by the way, the gun does look sweet, just make sure you let your neighbor test fire it.

ian
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#14]
SMGLee, Did you have to SBR it to get the flash suppressor or is it a muzzle brake?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
ian187, was that really fucking necessary? I mean everybody knows about the toad's reputation, but were you in a mood to piss on somebody's parade today or what?

Looks pretty good, SMGLee. The Aimpoint was a good choice IMHO. Hope to take a closer look at it Oct SECRET or Dec Webshooters.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't care who made it, I'm still jealous!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Now that's what HK should have released them as! Too bad they had to PC the hell out of them.

Yea SMGLee, you have to bring your SL8-1+ to the next S.E.C.R.E.T.

Mad Matt or leadpoisonr had a sweet SL8-1 project gun also.

I'm starting to regret not picking one up before the Dec 2000 deadline in KAKA land
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guy for all the kind word.

Ian187:

It took awhile for Todd to bring the stock to production.  I was a little worried to say the least. but the good thing is he came through, both in the mag well and the stock.  a little too long in the LOP, but he did do a survey on HK54.com before production, he asked everyone what they want. this is what was decided by the masses. everyone seem to want a stock that will be able to shoot with the stock folded.  no thought about how long the stock will have to be to clear the ears on the receiver. of course all decision were made based on a possible favorable ruling in 2004.

Troy,

I guess this replaced the gas piston, magazine well, bolt, all the parts in a US made magazine, plus the US made fake muzzle brake.  

Hawkeye, it is a fake brake the slots in the brake is not milled all the way through.  hopefully after 04, I can fold the stock and add the real flash hider on it.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hawkeye, it is a fake brake the slots in the brake is not milled all the way through.  hopefully after 04, I can fold the stock and add the real flash hider on it.  

Ahh, was wondering about that idea too. Looks great. Congrats.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:29:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Hope to take a closer look at it Oct SECRET or Dec Webshooters.

Hey Big Bear, does this mean you might show at one our SECRETS?
REDHORSE, that was MadMatts SL8 prject . i wish it was mine tho.
its a shame you cant use the factory optics i was pretty impressed with the ones on Matts rig.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Chen, why don't you bring that bad boy down to the az shoot next month? Probably the closest thing any of us will get to a G36. Oh, for a LEO needing a demo!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats! Beautiful piece of hardware!  Damn you!  Now I want one!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#24]
How is the reliability of the mag conversion?
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Hope to take a closer look at it Oct SECRET or Dec Webshooters.

Hey Big Bear, does this mean you might show at one our SECRETS?
REDHORSE, that was MadMatts SL8 prject . i wish it was mine tho.
its a shame you cant use the factory optics i was pretty impressed with the ones on Matts rig.

I have one of those stocks on order. When I get my mine, I plan on performing some major surgery to remove the section with the fake hinge. This will bring the eye relief back to normal, so I can use the G36 optics. Hopefully, I'll have it done by SECRET V.

SMGLee - Your new toy looks great, can't wait to see it in person. To bad you didn't have it in time for the night carbine class, it would have really caused some jaws to drop!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:24:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
How is the reliability of the mag conversion?

The reliability is excellent.  you just have to have a set of balls and cut your mag well just right so the magazine sits in the mag well. ot you can get SW to do the mag conversion, 50 dollars later, you got yourself a hi-cap SL8.

I did the conversion myself, dump about 150 rounds the first go around, and then another 30 rounds at the range sighting in the Aimpoint, and then open up with a 90 round fast pace fire.  no jams, except for the very first magazine out of thegun, and that was my fault, I forgot to oil it.

Quoted:
[SMGLee - Your new toy looks great, can't wait to see it in person. To bad you didn't have it in time for the night carbine class, it would have really caused some jaws to drop!

no kidding, that will definitely got a copule of guys giving a second look.  maybe even Bill might give a slight chuckle.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
SMGLee,

I'm assuming that the kit replaces enough import parts with US parts to make the pistol grip legal?

-Troy

With the pistol grip and magwell conversion, it's definitely legal, here are the import parts that remain on the converted rifle:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(4) Forearm handguards
(5) Bolt carriers
(6) Operating rods
(7) Triggers
(8) Hammers
(9) Sears

These are replaced with the conversion kits:
(1) Gas pistons
(2) Trigger housings
(3) Buttstock
(4) Pistol grips
(5) Bolts
(6) Magazine bodies
(7) Followers
(8) Floorplates

If I'm not mistaken, SMGLee's cool front handguard is also US made, so he's got an extra replaced part.

This is my present opinion of the parts count, other's may be different. There are a couple gray areas that may reduce the number of imported parts, such as:

1. The trunion is permanently molded into the receiver. Do they still count as two seperate parts?

2. The cocking handle (op rod) is riveted to the bolt carrier. Do they still count as two seperate parts?

I'd be interested if any of you US parts rule experts had an opinion on this.

Link Posted: 8/29/2002 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[SMGLee - Your new toy looks great, can't wait to see it in person. To bad you didn't have it in time for the night carbine class, it would have really caused some jaws to drop!

no kidding, that will definitely got a copule of guys giving a second look.  maybe even Bill might give a slight chuckle.

Since Bill was the only one present with a full-auto suppressed MP-5, I would hope he'd have the common courtesy not to chuckle at us mere mortals.
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:16:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#30]
NICE!
Link Posted: 8/29/2002 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#31]
please do it i got a ton of remington 223 i inherited i want to blast thru :)
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice rifle Chen.  Maybe you should move to Neveda or something.  

Max
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 8:17:19 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Nice rifle Chen.  Maybe you should move to Neveda or something.  

Max

This would be my next move. I have a C3 friend whom is a LEO in LA area, he is going to retire to Neveda in about three years. I think I will attach myself to his license and get a residence in that state. although Taiwan looks like a very likely place for the next three years becuase of a job opportunity.  that means no guns, no shooting.  I will have to keep a open end ticket jusyt so I can come home to fire my guns.  so within three years, I might be on my way to getting a C3 license in Neveda.  then I can buy some really serious toys.  
I figure a minimi, a M60E3, couple of 16's bunch of HK.  I am already planning how I am going to spend the money i will be making in Taiwan.  those damn guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 9:50:24 AM EDT
[#34]
A Minimi? Have you ever priced one of those? As much as a house in some parts of the country. But if you got the cash, go for it.

Can I shoot it? I'm willing to travel and pay for ammo.

I plan on going Class III when I move out too, but I'll settle for a M16.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
We can arrange to have a real G36 there.

Now your talkin! By the way, I'm an SOT so if you know of any depts.........
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
A Minimi? Have you ever priced one of those? As much as a house in some parts of the country. But if you got the cash, go for it.

Can I shoot it? I'm willing to travel and pay for ammo.

I plan on going Class III when I move out too, but I'll settle for a M16.

Being a C3 have advantage of buying dealer sample, I am can get a dealer samle for under ten grand. which is not too bad.  I figure twenty grand and I can probably laid my hands on a Minimi and a 60E3 or E4.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:30:32 AM EDT
[#37]
SMGLee,

I don't mean to rain on your parade.

Won't you be worried having problems with the elimination of "thumb-hole" stock in CA?

Link Posted: 8/31/2002 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
SMGLee,

I don't mean to rain on your parade.

Won't you be worried having problems with the elimination of "thumb-hole" stock in CA?

Thumbhole stocks and pistol grip stocks are equally evil under CA law (SB23). Sort of like how federal law treats folding stocks and telescoping stocks. Swaping one for the other doesn't change the evil feature count.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#39]
can someone repost the pictures?  I can't see it

Brent
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Ditto, I can't see squat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top