Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2002 9:31:25 AM EDT
My friend is selling a nice M1 carbine .
The barrel is stamped " Blue Sky , Arlington ,VA "

The receiver is stamped " IBM " under the rear peep sight . Wood look ok . Has the m2 notch out .

I figure this to be a good receiver but am not famillar with the Blue sky barrel .

It looks to be all GI , but I am a newbie to M1 carbines . He wants $325 I will probably bite
but wanted to check with you guys first .

Thanks .

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Blue Sky was the importer back in the 80's, not the barrel maker.  Blue Sky imported both Carbines and Garands, from Korea as I recall.  Purists/collectors look down on them but if you're just looking for a shooter you may be okay.  I say may because many of the BLue Sky guns were pretty tired, especially  the barrels.  Look it over closely, check the barrel very closely and then decide.  The gun has almost certainly been rebuilt somewhere along the line, probably more that once.  

In the present carbine market $325 is a decent price.  Non-import USGI's start around $500 and quickly escalate from there. And they seem to be getting scarce, only saw one at the last show, a very nice Inland rebuild for $600.  

Fun guns to shoot.  Love mine.

Link Posted: 8/27/2002 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Blue sky is the importers mark. The barrel and all the other parts are original U.S.G.I.. Yes, it's true that many of the rifles imported back into the U.S. from Korea were "tired" but they are still U.S.G.I. weapons. These days $325.00 for that carbine is a good deal. Back in the 80's they were selling in the $200.00-$250.00 range.
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help . I looked down the muzzle and it looked ok No pitting that I could see .
Rifling seemed intact .
  The barrel did have the flaming bomb ord mark . If that matters . It also had
" LEM - Corp  " stamped into it .      
      I'll probably pick it up tomorrow .
Link Posted: 8/27/2002 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Your barrel is probably actually is stamped " IBM "not LEM. IBM's tend to bring a bit of a premium because of lower production #'s. I have an ex Israeli IBM carbine that I paid $ 165 for back in 93 and I thought that was alot of $$ for a carbine back than !! Value of a Blue Sky import IBM in deceant shape should be $ 325-450 depending....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top