Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2002 10:54:12 AM EDT
I am looking at getting one in .338 mag.  I have not known anyone that has one, nor have been able to shoot one myself.  How reliable are they?  Accurate? etc...  Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
post a pic....or a limk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad's last hunting rifle was a BAR chambered for .30-06.  Part of the reason he got it was memories of the military BAR he carried across China, Burma and India in War2.

While it seemed heavy to me he never complained about it.  It's a solidly built rifle.  Shot whatever ammunition he fed it and I don't remember any problems.

He said it was a sweet shooter so I guess the recoil was to his liking.  He bought it right after he took one of my 7mm's on a deer hunt.  My hunting rifles are light and I load them heavy.  The first couple of shots he fired bruised his shoulder, skinned his trigger finger and busted his eyebrow.  And he was bigger than me.

Anyway he came back from the sporting goods store with the .30-06 BAR and never shot anything else.  He left long shots to the younger guys but he got his deer every year.

I'd say if .338 is what you want go for it.  You can't take it to Africa or some other foreign places that ban semi-autos but for the largest North America big game it's fine.
Link Posted: 8/21/2002 9:24:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Great rifle.
Got one in 7mm Rem.Mag. with the B.O.S.S.-C.R.
Almost got one in .338 Win.Mag.
If I got another, it would be the "Stalker" in .338.
The bit of extra weight and the gas action will soak up some recoil.  
Mine is accurate and reliable for a slick autoloading hunting firearm.
Try it.  You'll like it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2002 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy the BAR unless you want what's possibly the finest & most accurate rifle made today, bolt or semi. Unfortunately I don't yet own one but I have shot them. My advice is to get the BOSS system if you get one. My .o2
Link Posted: 8/22/2002 8:45:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Well you guys sold me on the BAR, I will go pick one up tommorrow.  How does the Boss system work?  Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/23/2002 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Well you guys sold me on the BAR, I will go pick one up tommorrow.  How does the Boss system work?  Thanks for the help

As I understand it, it smoothes out the harmonic vibrations in the barrel as the bullet travels down the bore. I'm sure some engineer here can explain it better. But I've seen the "before" & "after" & the difference is absolutely amazing!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top