Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2002 1:10:39 PM EDT
Supposedly the Enfield No. 4 and No. 5 series were the fastest bolt guns ever made. How true is this? I also read that the No. 4 Mk2 is usually better because it wasn't made during wartiem threeforre it is better made, better materials, and is also younger (production ended in 1955 and started very late 40's) than the No. 4 Mk1. So where can I buy this ghos ring sighted gun? How much can I expect to pay for it? Is ammo expensive? (The reason I am vary of the No. 5 is because this carbine supposedly kicks like a mule)

Or is there some other bolt gun that you consider better that you might recommend?

Doggonit (pullin' mags)
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 4:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Doggonitt,
I got mine for about $250.  It was unissued and unfired (until I got it).  Mine's an Irish contract made in '54.  I put on a Mk1 sight though (a folding ladder for long range, much better than the issued MkII sight).  As far as fast goes, yeah it's pretty slick but takes some practice.  The .303 combined with the design of the stock (not so great IMHO), really makes long shooting sessions a little punishing though.  Overall a great piece of history and a fun gun though.
Check out www.bdlltd.com  his stuff isn't cheap, but he only sells good stuff.

Later,
Rich
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 6:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As to being the fastest? Yes, but with training.. The design of the SMLE allows one to throw the bolt without removing it from one's shoulder, and to maintain a sight picture..
Also, consider it's 10 round capacity.. If you have extra mags loaded, it is not that hard to maintain a rate of fire rivalling many self loaders..

Quality is very subjective when dealing with the SMLEs.. Some of the early No1MkIII's were beautifully made, in comparison to the later No1MkIII*, which was a WWI modification..

The No4MkII is basically a No4MkI with an action mounted trigger, as opposed to the No4MkI's triggerguard mounting.. It's fit, and finish in my experience is no worse, or better than equivalent No4MkI/No4MkI* rifles.

Availability has been scarce in my experience, compared to the hoardes of No4MkI's, although when you find one, they are beautiful, and usually new/unfired.

Recoil is subjective.. I find Enfields very plesant, but I do not shoot off of a bench.. The No 5 is a bit harsher than the No4, but not that bad that you should pass one up..

Consider buying two, and fitting one with the fine Parker Hale match sight..Makes the old "smelly" damn fun to shoot.

Meplat-
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Goody, I get to show off my Enfields again!

Go here for all of the Enfield info you could want.

They are fantastic rifles. I am a lefty, and can operate the rifle quite quickly.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. The one on the right is a 1953 Fazakerly  Burma Contract No4MK2. Lovely rifle.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top