Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2002 9:10:32 AM EDT
I've had my AR-15 for over three months now and have never noticed rust.  Today I took it to the range, and when I picked it up out of the case, I noticed rust.  It's enough to leave a tiny bit of brown on a tissue when I wipe it.  Of course it isn't on the aluminum parts, only the safety/fire switch, the sights, the trigger, the FA, the ejection port door, the takedown pins, magazine eject button, and even a little on the muzzle brake.  The screws on my scope mount are also rusting.  There is also rust on my .308.  Can this be a serious problem, and if so what can I do about it?  And why is it only rusting now when it had over three months to do so?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not unusual.  Most of my matte blued guns will leave a brownish stain on a cloth when wiped with oil.

Just keep CLP on everything, don't store the gun inside a case, and check in on it frequently.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like it's ruined.  Better send it to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 11:11:43 AM EDT
[#3]
So is it actual rust or is it something else?  Best way to remove/treat without ruining finish?  Just some CLP?

I noticed one tiny little spot on my barrel
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 4:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The fact that you seem to have everywhere makes me wonder if you’ve got a storage problem.  For example (though I can’t imagine it being your problem), steel will rust pretty quickly when exposed to acid fumes.

More likely would be storing the firearms near, say, your bathroom, where the humidity can cause problems.

And, as Ken_Mays says, don’t store them in cases.  If you really want to keep them in something, look at the Bore Stores storage cases sold by Brownells.  These are breathable and won’t trap moisture like most gun cases.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Finger prints and hot humid weather.

Wipe it down with an oily rag after handling and get a dehumidifier.

Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If its a soft case, the nylon or padding on the interior may be retaining ambient moisture. I've found the same thing happening from the foam padding in hard cases like in the supposedly airtight Pelican cases.  You might want to try throwing a couple packets of dry silica crystals to absorb the moisture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top