Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2002 5:10:00 PM EDT
I went to clean my Remington 700 today which was boflaged a couple months back.  Anyway I dripped some CLP on the barrel and when I went to wipe it off the paint underneath came off.  I didnt mind because I wanted to redo it anyway.  So I put CLP all over the barrel and action and let it soak for a couple minutes.  I then took an old towl and began to wipe it off.  It came off fairly easily and I didnt have to rub hard or anything.  After I got most of it off I started to notice shiny spots.  To my horror I realized the blueing was coming off along with the paint.  Now I have a barrel and action that dont have any boflage and has shiny spots.  Not good, I almost cried.  

Where can I send this off to be parkerized and what does it cost?  What is the finish on a bushmaster AR?  Can this be put on my rifle and action?
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Schapman,

Rocky Mountain Arms in Longmont, CO does incredible finish work.  It's some kind of smooth matte black finish that actually looks nicer than Parkerizing.  You might give them a call. They are probably not far from you,  Longmont is about 75 miles from Cheyenne.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 12:00:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Dang.

Sounds like they should change the name of it to "Blowflage."

Out of curiosity, why were you wanting to redo the finish?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#4]
CLP destroyed the bluing?????  I haven't had that experience.  Can you confirm that there was no other chemical involved????
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh my god dude,that really sucks!

Sounds like something that would happen on Seinfeld or somethin.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Try  PCS,Inc.
www.angelfire.com/ok5/pcsinc/index.htm. They have prices, pictures, and great specials.

At www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php under reviews check out the comment and pictures.
Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
CLP destroyed the bluing?????  I haven't had that experience.  Can you confirm that there was no other chemical involved????

The other chemical would be CLP.  A drop got on the barrel and when I wiped it off the paint came with is so I decided to remove all the paint with the CLP.  This took the blueing with it.

Marvl, thanks for the info.  I'm gonna give them a call.

Scott

Link Posted: 8/20/2002 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I just called Rocky Mountain Arms and what they do is a Black Teflon finish.  Total cost for the entire rifle is $300.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top