Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2002 10:50:51 AM EDT
I sent my C+R paperwork off to the ATF recently and need some advice on being legal.

I saw the requirements in the ATF P 5300.4 reference guide.  Does somebody make a spiral-bound book, or should I just come up with something using Excel?
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I downloaded some Excel-based forms from Cruffler and put them in a cheap three ring binder.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#2]
i use one from brownells, it was only like 3 bucks. Ronald
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the spreadsheet downloaded from cruffler also.

Another good site if you don't know already:

http://pub109.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Got mine from Brownells, too.  If you're not planning on buying some other things at the same time you order the bound book, you're better off downloading the pages.

Link Posted: 8/15/2002 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I looked on Cruffler and couldn't find any Excel spreadsheets.  All I found was a PDF file that looked like it was a photocopy of somebody's book.  

My intent is to modify the individual records on the computer and then print the pages for the book.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's a link to the Excel spreadsheet on Parallax's Curios & Relics forum:

mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwill10/misc_files/Bound_Book.xls

and here's a PDF version:

mywebpages.comcast.net/johnwill10/misc_files/Bound_Book.pdf

It's a very nice sheet and it's the one that I currently use (I made the PDF conversion for him).
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 7:08:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, sir.  That's what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 8/15/2002 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]
even though it seems like you made up your mind, the one from Brownell's is a good deal!
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought the set from RK Enterprises, he advertises in Shotgun News.  Got the C&R book, plus a personal firearms book, plus some other neat stuff.  I like it, but you can use the spreadsheet stuff just as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bought the set from RK Enterprises, he advertises in Shotgun News.  Got the C&R book, plus a personal firearms book, plus some other neat stuff.  I like it, but you can use the spreadsheet stuff just as well.

RK has some good books but I prefer just printing my own. However their price tags are the shit!

Anybody got a url or phone number for them?

Jake
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the $3 Brownell's book which comes complete with examples and instructions. You can keep your records on computer with permission of the BATF.

I'm not sure a loose leaf three ring binder is "bound" enough to be legal.

Three bucks is cheap enough to do it right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Binder or spiral book is no good. It must be a bound book. A simple call to ATF will tell you this as well as the "green" book.
You can get a variance for PC files but it must be requested in writing.
I use a big bound book that is really a log book.
Link Posted: 8/16/2002 6:24:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Binder or spiral book is no good. It must be a bound book. A simple call to ATF will tell you this as well as the "green" book.

That's not true.  The term "Bound Book" is really a misnomer.  BATF says that a "Bound Book" can consist of "an orderly arrangement of loose leaf pages".

See the BATF link.

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#e1
Link Posted: 8/17/2002 4:16:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Pg 138 of the 2000 green book also will say that an orderly collection of loose leaf papers is a "bound book".  A call to ATF is virtually meaningless, as they, like the IRS, are not bound by what they say, only what they write...

BTW, I use the binder/excel method.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top