Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2002 2:05:36 PM EDT
I'm building another AR and I noticed that RRA is listing some of their barrels as having a ".223 Wylde" chamber.

What is .223 Wylde?

Is it an RRA marketing ploy or is it a wildcat round?

Huh?
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The Wylde chamber is named after the man who invented it, Bill Wylde.  It has a long throat so single (manually) loaded heavy bullets can be seated long, to not intrude on case capacity.  The throat is narrow to enhance accuracy.  The long but narrower throat doesn't supposedly lead to shorter barrel life.

The maker wanted the best of both worlds the ability to shoot heavy long range bullets well, without sacrificing accuracy from magazine fed ammunition, or barrel life.

There is NO SAAMI specification for throat dimensions, just chamber dimensions.  The chamber itself is somewhat immaterial.  The chamber throat length, diameter, and lead angle are the keys to the design.

If you have any more questions I can get you an answer.  Use the Instant Message.

Doug

Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for asking.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 4:15:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you.  

I just bought another lower, and I think that I'm going to use one of RRA's barrels on a flat-top upper.

Thanks again.  I'll try the .223 Wylde.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top