Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2002 11:58:25 AM EDT
Anyone out there know of a good site for Springfield "M1A" info.    Something like what we have here.    Would also like to learn info on pre ban advantages.
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 12:54:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Splicer, try here: www.battlerifles.com/.  Unless you want to replace the stock with a pistol grip variety, or have a bayonet lug for hand-to-hand combat, there is little advantage to a pre-ban M1A, at least IMHO.  The most important feature is the flash suppressor, which is standard on all M1A rifles, pre or post.  The only reason to go pre-ban is the need or desire to have multiple "evil" features on the rifle.

Link Posted: 8/12/2002 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The other, really good reason, is that preban has the best chance of containing USGI parts. Buying a postban that needs cast parts replaced with USGI can be expensive. USGI bolts have all but dried up this past year. Oprods are getting harder to find and more expensive. I suspect that the private armorers are not selling USGI parts but instead holding back more for rifle builds.

I've found the best experts on the M14/M1A are at www.jouster.com in the M1 Garanda/M14 forums. www.battlefifles.com seemed to me as being substandard in quality answers. I've found better quality answers on ar15.com forums even though it is not dedicated to the M14/M1A.

The trick is to found out where the competitive shooters are as these folks tend to have better gunsmithing experience. Which, I guess, is due to "competitive necessity".
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#3]
www.jouster.com/
An absolutely amazing site. Everything you ever wanted to know about the M1, M1A, M1903, and every major battle rifle used by US Forces....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top