Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2002 1:31:48 PM EDT
I do not intend to stir up some debates over individual preferences for Colt or Bushmaster.

I am in the process of buying a complete bolt assembly for my Colt AR upper.

Are there any major differences between Colt and Bushmaster when it comes to bolt assembly?

Common sense tells me it would be less risky putting Colt bolt in Colt upper, but it seems getting Bushmaster bolts is easier nowadays.

Thanks for sharing your experience in this!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a search on Bush bolts, you'll see that many here
have been having problems with theirs breaking.

Buy Colt.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You won't have a problem using a Bushmaster bolt assy.  

...unless your lower is a Colt® equipped with the receiver block.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Try and find yourself a Colt full circle bolt and carrier unless you have a blocked lower of course. Advertise in the WTB section and you may find one, I just picked one up about 2 weeks ago for 135.00, I think it is brand new as there are no marks on it. They are out there and IMHO they are the best.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
i agree with ARJ,

if you can not find what you are looking for check this place out,  www.sawlesales.com/
i got a full circle Colt carrier/bolt assy. for a bit over $200 NEW !!
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for all your input.
I will go with Colt.

Link Posted: 8/11/2002 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You won't have a problem using a Bushmaster bolt assy.  

...unless your lower is a Colt® equipped with the receiver block.

Care to explain this to us?
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#9]
As soon as you pretentious fucks explain the difference between a bolt assembly and a complete bolt assembly, I'll be glad to.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#10]
OK, I may be a fuck, but I'm not pretentious, OK??

The bolt assembly does not include the carrier. Any AR15 bolt designed for right hand shooters using 5.56/.223 will be the same except maybe for quality issues. The carrier on the other hand cannot be the full circle type if used on a Colt lower with the sear block.

That said, I would never pay over $200 for a complete bolt and carrier. Not even for a Colt. If I needed a full circle carrier and a Colt cost that much, I'd go with Bushmaster. The quality is about the same. Either way, I'd check headspace with the new bolt.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:53:05 PM EDT
[#11]

The bolt assembly does not include the carrier

correct,
bolt carrier assem = carrier and carrier key
bolt assem = bolt & extractor
bolt & bolt carrier assem = complete with firing pin
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I run Colt's bolts in all my ARs and usually use Colt's carriers.  In all of the lower receivers with the sear blocks I have tried a "full circle" Colt's semiautomatic bolt carrier goes in just fine.  I do not use the "half circle" ones, they are just goofy and to light.  Am running a old Eagle Arms "NM" carrier in my current Colt's space gun.  The length of the bottom cylinder (the part that works with the auto sear) is in between that of a semiauto and a full auto, it fits fine in my Colt's.  A full auto carrier will almost real close just about fit.  Guess I could post pics if there is a doubting Thomas here, but am sure I am not the only one with this secret knowledge.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The carrier on the other hand cannot be the full circle type if used on a Colt lower with the sear block.

Like Ekie, my experience bears the above statement out to be untrue. I have swapped full circle bolt carriers into my sear blocked Blue Label Colts with no noticeable effect. In other words, the run just fine with any commercial AR15 type bolt carrier.

This is what I asked to gardenWeasel to explain, which I pretty much knew he couldn't because he apparently doesn't know what he's talking about regarding this subject.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I run Colt's bolts in all my ARs and usually use Colt's carriers.  In all of the lower receivers with the sear blocks I have tried a "full circle" Colt's semiautomatic bolt carrier goes in just fine.  I do not use the "half circle" ones, they are just goofy and to light.  Am running a old Eagle Arms "NM" carrier in my current Colt's space gun.  The length of the bottom cylinder (the part that works with the auto sear) is in between that of a semiauto and a full auto, it fits fine in my Colt's.  A full auto carrier will almost real close just about fit.  Guess I could post pics if there is a doubting Thomas here, but am sure I am not the only one with this secret knowledge.

Seems I have learned something new (to me) today! I had never tried a full circle carrier in a blocked Colt lower. I assumed it wouldn't work and that the half circle carriers were needed to clear the block. After reading this I tried it and sure enough, you're right.

I still say Bushy bolts are as good as Colts though.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#15]
""""""""That said, I would never pay over $200 for a complete bolt and carrier. Not even for a Colt. If I needed a full circle carrier and a Colt cost that much, I'd go with Bushmaster. The quality is about the same. Either way, I'd check headspace with the new bolt.""""""""""

whether the quality is the same is debatable, BUT !!!!! i am a purist when it comes to my guns, i put Colt parts in a Colt..., Bushmaster parts in a Bushy...., i am also a Ford man..., i'd never think of putting Dodge parts on/in any of my Fords
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top