Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 7:24:09 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has used and likes or dislikes Smith Enterprises' muzzle brake.  I think they look awesome, that's one factor - but do they perform well?

Has anyone sent their upper to Smith Ent. to have one installed?  Did it go well?

I'm having a hard time thinking about shipping mine away to AZ, but I want it installed professionally - and the last time I had brake work done on my AK by a local gun smith, it was crooked and the welds were huge/terrible.  I'm not doing that again.

www.smithenterprise.com
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
May I suggest that you check out Kurt's Kustom Firearms in the Industry Forum.  He makes some pretty awesome brakes.  Here is a direct link to his website:

www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/

BTW, Kurt is the premier gunsmith of this board.  He does quality work.  If you want it done right, he's the man!
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one when I first put together my M4 upper. It was OK. The pro's no lift and very little recoil. Con's   REALLY loud.
I then switched to a Cav-comp. it was nice and quiet but the dot jumped to much for competition use. I now have a AR-15 MICULEK COMP sold by DPMS or Brownells www.brownells.com/Product/productDetail.asp?ProductID=231000038&CategoryID=0
It's a lot quieter than the smith but not as quiet as the Cav-comp, but there is less recoil and muzzle jump than the Smith.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Smith brakes are awesome, if you can tolerate the added noise...(all brakes are noisey anyway)
NO muzzle jump or recoil AT ALL...

Just put one on my brother's rifle...

20" SP-1 (pencil barrel)

One of the nicest shooters I've seen...
Muzzle doesn't move at all when fired...
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 9:53:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have tried or currently have the Smith Ent brake, AK74-type Brake, Wilson Combat Brake, and KKF A3 Tac Brake.

The Smith adds alot of weight to the end of the Brl, it's too big around, I sold mine.

The AK74 brake is loud, ugly and adds too much length, I had it removed.

I have no complaints with the Wilson Combat or KKF A3 brake, recommend them both.
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys, I have some more research to do...

I will note that a few brake producers seem keen on selling their brakes with the notion that they will make your AR look as if it was a preban with a flash sup. - I don't think ANY of them do this, however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top