Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2002 3:17:42 PM EDT
Guys,

I am trying to determine if my preban PWA receivers a forged or casted one. How do you tell them apart ? I have two PWA recs. A 9xxx and 29xxx SN. The 9xxx has a line that goes vertically right under the pivot pin hole across the front side of the magazine well. It also has a vertical line rigt in the rear section immediately above the pistol grip, just under the stock. Is it a sign for cast receiver ? The 29xxx does not have these lines.

TIA

OZ
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#1]
The one with the vertical line is the one forged. As the metal is hammered (forged) into the mold a bit of extra metal is pounded out between the mold halfs. This is then milled out leaving the line.

Casting can be noticed as the letters and edges are too soft. Often the markings will be 3D rising up from the background where forging will have the letters cut into the background by a mill.

Link Posted: 8/9/2002 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 5:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
First, thanks for the replies guys !

The "lines" on my rec fit the descriptions Troy posted. The seam "Lines" on my 29xxx PWA has been machined off smooth, but you can still see the wide mark on the rear section just above the pistol grip. The "lines' on the 9xxx PWA are not machined too smooth, still quite visible.

I guess both recs are forged. Did PWA make any cast receivers ?

Thanks
OZ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top